Reloading factory ammo with different lot numbers.

cajun

So reloading some 7/08 Hornady brass from fired ammo. 2 different lot's and my son has got them all mixed up so who knows. Normally I will keep brass lots the same and retest loads when changing. Safe to load? Or just buy new brass.

I have hundreds of brass in each of various Weatherby cartridges. (257, 7mm, 300, 340)

I sort only by headstamp and variation of headstamp (different vintage have different appearing stamps).
In doing so, I can still get very low ES/SD without worrying about the lot number even with mixing and matching brass of various lots.

As long as the brass is essentially the same vintage I think you're fine.

I have hundreds of brass in each of various Weatherby cartridges. (257, 7mm, 300, 340)

I sort only by headstamp and variation of headstamp (different vintage have different appearing stamps).
In doing so, I can still get very low ES/SD without worrying about the lot number even with mixing and matching brass of various lots.

Was testing some 6.5 Needmoor rounds this weekend and low and behold I somehow mixed a piece of Hornady with Prime brass and never saw a difference.

Last edited:

Yeah I get it. I ran into some issues with Hornady 6.8 spc ammo. They had 2 different headstamps based on the brass being Hornady or S&B brass. Different case capacities.