Reloading Die for 6mm VLDs

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by scsims, Dec 14, 2012.

1. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

I have started loading the Berger VLDs in my 243 and have found that my Lee seating die is seating them by pushing almost on the very tip of the bullet. So I read somewhere to open up the die so it seats further down on the bullet. I tried this and I screwed it up, and didn't get a good strait cut on the bushing and now it's not seating the bullet anywhere near strait.....

So I'm just going to buy a new seating die and was wanting opinions on which ones are good for the VLDs and seats them with the ogive instead of the tip.

2. CPGfan

CPGfan Well-Known Member

Get a set of hornady dies and you can purchase a VLD seating stem.

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

+1!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bpQKFYICn0"]Hornady New Dimension Dies - YouTube[/ame]

4. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

If I order the New Deminsion seater die, does it come with the stem needed to seat VLDs or is that something different I have to order along with it?

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

I load 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs for my .270 Win without any problem using the Hornady Dimension "as-is".

6. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

Great Thanks. I just ordered a set from Cabelas had enough points to get them free. Well I did end up spending more than I had in points. Always need bullets......

7. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Don't forget, with your purchase of dies, you get a box of bullets for free too (just pay for the shipping cost).

Get Loaded 2012 - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Enjoy!

8. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

or you can simply run a drill into the area that contacts the bullet to open it up in the center. A 3/32" hi-roc drill bit ought to be close. But you can buy a VLD stem or seater plug from most all manufacturers.

If your gonna change seating dies, I'd order in the Forster seater with a VLD plug, and be a light year better that 99.5% of the combos
    gary