Reloading complications

Warren, Ian, and All,
Wow, we sure seem to be pursuing quite a number of tangents here under one topic! At any rate, I wanted to say a few more things about reloading and barrel cleaning after a outing to friend's ranch this past week.

I've taken it upon myself to go back and start all over again with this Dakota Longbow. In other words, I'm basically attempting to break it in all over again by cleaning it every 3 to five shots. I've been doing this while it's hot as well. Needless to say, I've been having vastly better results. And the rifle's accuracy seems to be improving. Of course, that's probably better attributed to the highly, anal-retentive handloading I've been doing. I've also started using a combination of Kroil and Shooters Choice before and after treatment with the Sweets 7.62 and JB Paste and I'm seeing enough copper coming out of the barrel to mint pennies.

As for the handloads I've been assembling with all this new reloading equipment I bought, well, that's a pretty exciting story in and of itself, too. Above, when I mentioned that I had assembled a first time lot of "absolutely perfect" loads, I meant that they were all perfectly uniform in length. I remember talking to you, Warren, at the Shot Show last January and your emphasis that there can not be even 0.001" variation among one's loads if the accuracy potential of the rifle is to be realized. Your words have been ringing in my ears ever since. With the assembly of recent lots using my own equipment I have made sure of this, too, and the groups I shot at my friends ranch reflect it. The last night I was up there I shot a 15 round group from a prone position off a Harris bipod at 895 yards that measured a bit over 11". The loads were assembled so that the ogive was sitting right on the lands. Previous loads I tested had the ogive 0.015", 0.020", and 0.025" off. I was extremely pleased the results of this last test. Will post the photo of the target as soon as I get the film developed.

Thank you, gentlemen, for being so generous with your knowledge!

David

you might try cleaning after every 6 shots one to foul the others for group.i screw the die down till it touches the shell holder then back it off a 1/4 turn.it does not have to be a 1/4 it could be a 1/32.just try not pushing the shoulder back.if you push it back to far you cause a man made head space problem.i have done this with every thing from a 22-250 to a .50 bmg and it works.are you turning the necks also working the flash whole and primer pockets.try a bench rest bushing die also.if you do these thing and do them right they will make a difference.you might call sinclair international and sierra they can and will help as well.if i rember right the lostriver bullets are .339 so maybe they are like the bore rider bullets in the 50bmg they foul worse than others.my .338 win mag shoots under 3 inches at 500 yards with sierra 250 sbt.i could be worong but .338 vs .339 means more fouling or at least it's make you think to look for it,thanks,keith

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.