Reloading: Beating the dead horse

thehulk

............... Well, im sure you've heard this question before, please indulge me.

Im getting decent results out of factory ammunition, but as you can imagine its starting to get old (the grouping, or lack there of), so I'm getting into reloading. This is my first step, now before you tell me about the 3rd button from the top right side, i'll say that I've already used it. And im going cross eyed, everyone has different opinions and thats fine. Im hoping someone who doesn't mind helping another newb can see what I'm wanting, and direct me from there. Heres what im wanting:

Basically all the peices to have a RELIABLE reloading station, my main concern is ACCURACY, not quantity. As of right now i'll be consentrating on reloading my .300WSM but will also reload 7MM RM and .243 (I want supreme accuracy, i'll spend the money to get it, within reason)

Please, if you will, list the products i'll need to purchase and the best place to buy them.

Edit: Accuracy is key, but its not just for target shooting, I want to be able to confidently shoot at large/heavy game past 800 yards. My dream hunt is a 1k shot on an Elk in the mountains. I've got more practice before I can make that shot, but im willing to put in the time. Reloading is one of the many steps in making this once in a lifetime hunt successful. Thanks for any and all constructive input.

Last edited:
I would start with a good press and recommend either the Redding Ultra Mag or Forster Coax press. Good quality reloading dies (Redding or Forster). A concentricity measuring tool so you can know if you are doing things accurately and adjust the steps where you are not. I just picked up the 21st century tool and would recommend it. I use the RCBS chargemaster powder measure and love it. I think it is more consistent than the balance beam scales and a lot faster. This should get you started. There are lots a tools out there you can use to help. If you have any questions ask.

I would start with a good press and recommend either the Redding Ultra Mag or Forster Coax press. Good quality reloading dies (Redding or Forster). A concentricity measuring tool so you can know if you are doing things accurately and adjust the steps where you are not. I just picked up the 21st century tool and would recommend it. I use the RCBS chargemaster powder measure and love it. I think it is more consistent than the balance beam scales and a lot faster. This should get you started. There are lots a tools out there you can use to help. If you have any questions ask.

Thanks buddy!!

What website for the rest?

Another question, I've been saving all my casings from my factory ammo (winchester) can I reuse that brass?

And how many times can you reuse brass? From my research it seems 2-3 times assuming you dont hotload or go above the max limits?

Another question, I've been saving all my casings from my factory ammo (winchester) can I reuse that brass?

And how many times can you reuse brass? From my research it seems 2-3 times assuming you dont hotload or go above the max limits?

You can use you factory brass without any problems, but to get the most accuracy out of it you will need to spend some more time preparing it. You will need to debur the flash holes and square the primer pockets. Premium brass like Lapua and Norma does not require this extra work, but also brings a premium.

You should get 2-3 reloadings out of your brass without any problems. Brass life all depends on the cartridge and how you are loading it. You can easily get 10-12 firings out of some cartridges. The less you work the brass, the longer it will last, ie just bump the shoulders back 2 thou instead of full length resizing.

You can use you factory brass without any problems, but to get the most accuracy out of it you will need to spend some more time preparing it. You will need to debur the flash holes and square the primer pockets. Premium brass like Lapua and Norma does not require this extra work, but also brings a premium.

You should get 2-3 reloadings out of your brass without any problems. Brass life all depends on the cartridge and how you are loading it. You can easily get 10-12 firings out of some cartridges. The less you work the brass, the longer it will last, ie just bump the shoulders back 2 thou instead of full length resizing.

Man, I appreciate the info.

I will be placing an order in Febuary. Hopefully be making my first batch of ammo by mid Feb.

Start small they say.....

Hey Hulk, welcome aboard, You are in for a good ride, and you have some good help here. A few additional items that I feel that are also a must are primer pocket uniformer, (Sinclair), and also a internal flash hole de- burring tool. Sinclair also has this item. You will not believe the inconsistency in brass when it comes to this area. One last thing that I recommend is a RCBS precision mic. This lets you check and properly set your resizing die, and also measures base to ogive very accurately. It also helps you to find YOUR headspace by measuring fired brass from datum line to base, and then you adjust your resizing die to .003 clearance, and then your brass will last longer. Also, get a good quality digital vernier caliper. Have fun and ask for advice when needed. There is a good " brain trust " here on this site, ( present company excluded), LOL. Be fussy with every thing, and don't be afraid to throw brass away if it isn't up to par. Today's brass isn't that great, but it is the platform that the best accuracy comes from, and that is consistency. AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL, 7STWgun):)

I dont think I am old, but maybe Im well on my way. So I have to offer something you should take constructively.

Patience, and lots of it.

I dont think you can "spend" your way to your goal. You have to take it slowly and learn along the way. Trial and error, with and emphasis on error and learning from them. Just because you buy the best quality tools that other "seasoned experts" use does not mean you can use them successfully without knowing why they may work so well. I have found it easy to make bullets, but it is one part art making the holy grail of ammo you set up as your final goal.

The guy who's reloaded the ammo that's won more matches and set more records for himself and three other people in his family doing it never preped a case except for sometimes turning necks to a uniform thickness and sorting cases by weight to about a 1% spread. He never touched a primer pocket nor flash hole. And he's always full length sized his fired cases for use in standard SAAMI dimension chambers in the rifles he builds to do that stuff.

Most folks spend too much time doing uncecessary stuff instead of just those few important things right. All it takes is a good single stage press such as RCBS, full length bushing dies by RCBS or Redding and the attitude to learn how to use them right.

The guy who's reloaded the ammo that's won more matches and set more records for himself and three other people in his family doing it never preped a case except for sometimes turning necks to a uniform thickness and sorting cases by weight to about a 1% spread. He never touched a primer pocket nor flash hole. And he's always full length sized his fired cases for use in standard SAAMI dimension chambers in the rifles he builds to do that stuff.

Most folks spend too much time doing uncecessary stuff instead of just those few important things right. All it takes is a good single stage press such as RCBS, full length bushing dies by RCBS or Redding and the attitude to learn how to use them right.

Um.......Ok Bart. Who is "The guy"?

Um.......Ok Bart. Who is "The guy"?
Mid Tompkins.

And David Tubb's another who full length sizes his fired cases he uses to win matches and set records. The full length sizing dies he makes and sells are adjustable for how much the fired case body's reduced; a couple thousandths is all that's needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.