Reloading Accident

I was just thinking back at some of the things that I have done in the past because I was so excited and enthused that I jumped before looking-like buying a lathe determined to learn with no experience-that is a story in itself-wont go there now-but maybe this guy has enough enthusism and just couldnt wait for knowledgeable instruction-I wouldnt send him to the gallows just yet-give him another chance-with what happened to him he might really listen to instruction-I have a friend who trained with top gunsmith for months and even he blew up (literally) a rifle because he got powders mixed up-forgot #1 rule to have only the powder using on the loading bench,hey I have to-even have a gallon jug full with powder from measure when not 100% sure what powder was in it

I was at one time that impatisent guy at 20 year old and lived in the sticks all I did was hunt and fish that is how we ate so I was trying to load foe a 3006 rem pump gun and a 223 pistal I heve divlexia and as long as there is lots of pictures to look at then I would read a little but never the hole thing reading was tuff if it did not have my full atention so for the first time I went to the max load in the manual and most accurat powder and loaded 30 shells it would shoot but kicked like a mule but when it was time to eject the shell I wood have to slam the gun into the bottom of the deer stand to eject the shell the pump could not be worked in any other way it was so much presure that it was a wonder I did not blow my head off what people don't under stand is faster is not always beter but this day and time with all the info at our fingers with the internet there is o reason to have problems like that by the way I have been loading now for 23 years and have learned a lot but I'm still learning every day! My best thing that I did that first year is it was my first muzzle loader it was a kentucky rifle and I read to use 100 gains of black powder so I went to my reloading scele and waited the 100 grains and pored it down the barrel put bullet in and pushed it home then went outside to shoot it boy I'd it kick I has able to just shoot it two times that day then I shot it 4 more times the next dat o get it to hit a pie plate at one hundred yards then I told someone how bag it was kicking they informed me belch powder is buy vallum not wait but im still a live today it was not my time to go!
I hope u get beter from your accident just remember that the pain pills will make u hurt more if you don't have them but when u stop taking them your body will fill much better without them hope u get well soon!!!!!

You know this guy and his mental make-up. Use your head and err on the side of your well-being. As far as your physical woes ,don't slack up. Keep digging every day. Remember pain and discomfort are temporary, quitting is forever.

Good luck and well wishes,

Brute

Every one here and elsewhere started knowing nothing at all but was shown or heard or even found out buy trial and arr . to call the person a dummy at the first mistake would be wrong . to show some one the right way and point in a direction is the way the of the world . to know more and say nothing and not to teach is the way of a politician and we as Americans should teach more to those that do not know . don't do it for him just talk to him so he can understand the logic of it and the way to cheek his work so he can work his loads safely.

Every one here and elsewhere started knowing nothing at all but was shown or heard or even found out buy trial and arr . to call the person a dummy at the first mistake would be wrong . to show some one the right way and point in a direction is the way the of the world . to know more and say nothing and not to teach is the way of a politician and we as Americans should teach more to those that do not know . don't do it for him just talk to him so he can understand the logic of it and the way to cheek his work so he can work his loads safely.
Hello Terry well spoken I agree with you. I will send a Prayer to a speedy recovery to our friend in need.:)

I have not spoken to this guy since. he has not called me or told me what he did with his rifle.
hey! I am no ******* to this guy, all he needs to do is call he drives by and never waves or even speaks to me, he just drives by.

I have not spoken to this guy since. he has not called me or told me what he did with his rifle.
hey! I am no ******* to this guy, all he needs to do is call he drives by and never waves or even speaks to me, he just drives by.
Hello Keith I personaly understand that taking a soild and converting to a gas has dangers and perameters. The one who lites the fuze is totaly respondable for its out come. Their are a lot of wise men on this web site anyone who is doing a scientific experiment of this nature(,reloading) should have a understanding of the outcomes,good and bad before attempting reloading. I personaly chose to reload after I had the knowledge to do so. My Life, My Decision. I have guys who don"t wave to me, it really does:t matter. (RDM for short) They are wishing they were me,:) A Man. Have a Good Day.

:)Hello Keith My uncle Fred who is a experienced reloader blew his shotgun up at a turkey shoot . His press had jamed he backed it up then started reloading again and did not check his powder charge, double loaded a shell and blew his gun up.
My uncle Ray went to check to see if his shotgun barrel was pluged with snow by putting the stock over his shoulder sliding It up and sticking his little finger in the barrel. The trigger hooked his clothing and he blew his little finger off.
Melcome a city Police Officer out deer hunting got into his truck with a loaded 7mm the gun went off and he shot the starter off the truck motor.
All of these men are experienced gun handlers lucky no one was killed. All reloading books say Proceed With Caution your neighbour over looked that part. Why do you have any remorse. Have a good day:) brad

Hi Keith,
One way to have a friend is to be a friend. Walking is not a requirement to enjoy the shooting sports. If it was, I would have been out of business in 93 when I broke my back leaving me paralyzed. I started shooting again on my first visit home from the hospital. If you want to see him enjoy our sport I would offer him a bit of help. Where would our sport be if we all had to invent it by ourselves? I learned some from my father and anywhere I could. He has you. Reloading can be a safe and rewarding hobby. I also think we need as many people shooting and voting pro gun as possible. I am an NRA instructor and besides shooting I teach reloading. You could offer him professional instruction through www.nrainstructors.org to help him find a local instructor or you could offer him a demo using his gear. You could even do it over the phone if you are not mobile. I would try to get him to come by so you can be assured he knows how to read a scale and show him how to set up his dies on your stuff. To start you might offer to show him how to clean his rifle and start from there. Maybe he could practice cleaning some of yours too. A monkey can reload ammunition once you get it set up. You could supervise. I do this with students. Both of my kids were loading ammo for me as soon as they had the strength to pull the handle. I'm talking something like 6 years old. They were not soloing or working up loads by any means but you have to start somewhere. I would start him with brass prep. Do a step at a time until he knows as much as you do. I have done this with lots of people, and even a few who have taken the sport far beyond my abilities.

Good luck.
Shawn

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.