Reloading 50 year old brass????

motown

I was digging through some of my old mans older brass today and happened to stumble upon 5 brand new boxes of 243 norma brass that appears to be from the 60's or 70's. It is new brass but was a little discolored so i through it all in the tumbler for a few hours and it looks brand new. I guess my question is does anybody think that this brass wouldnt be safe to load? It just so happens my new tikka t3 lite in 243 should be in on tuesday so id like to give this brass a trygun)

I was digging through some of my old mans older brass today and happened to stumble upon 5 brand new boxes of 243 norma brass that appears to be from the 60's or 70's. It is new brass but was a little discolored so i through it all in the tumbler for a few hours and it looks brand new. I guess my question is does anybody think that this brass wouldnt be safe to load? It just so happens my new tikka t3 lite in 243 should be in on tuesday so id like to give this brass a trygun)
being never fired brass it might be ok but it is risky personally I would anneal the mouth first it could be brittle. Actually I would not use it its not worth it to me...

Has it been stored inside in a climate controlled area?

I would say as long as they cleaned right up you should be good to go. I'd load up 20 of them and see how they shoot and if they crack or are brittle in any way. If not, then I'd say go for it, and that you just stumbled into a box of luck. :cool:

As a self-taught, self-started, and self-learned reloader (nobody else in my family does) that is the kind of box we all wish we could stumble upon. But I never will, so all my stuff is fairly recent, unless I pickup some old brass from the range and repurpose it. LOL

As long as the brass has no corrosion you are good to go. It's perfectly safe. tumble it, prep it and load'er up!

I have several hundred Lake City and Lake City Match brass from the 50's and 60's that I've fire formed and load for my .30-06 AI many have been loaded over 10 times without losing any. Norma Brass is even better!

You found a wonderful stash and I know it'll be put to good use!

Dano

Thanks for the replys! Yeah its been stored in a climate controlled area and it literally looks brand new after a little bit of tumbiling. Anybody know of any collectors that might want the empty norma boxes? All 5 of the boxes are in great shape and id almost hate to see them go in the trash but i have no use for them. If anybody is interesed let me know.

Chances are, It is better than the brass we can buy now.

It could be a different alloy and volume than todays brass so don,t start with Max loadings and you will be fine.

Norma use to make very good brass and you should like it.

In my opinion, You are lucky because today there brass is one of the most expensive.

J E CUSTOM

You might be all right, but -- well --

Last summer I loaded some .30-06 brass that was around 35 years old and shot it through my Garand. I had all kinds of problems, from the necks splitting, to the necks coming completly OFF and jamming into the chamber. I won't do that again, and honestly, even at $50 for a box of 20, brass is relatively cheap for what you get out of it.

I say you should replace that brass with new.

I have a bunch of cases that are from 45 to 30 years old that I use all the time with no problems.

I am also a new reloader and don't have anybody in the family to show me the ways. My late dad was and I got all his equipment, dies, press, powder thrower, brass, primers, and even 4 boxes of bullets for the 1903a3, 30-30, and 300 savage I also came to own. All the equipment works FLAWLESSLY and the powder and primers still fire true. My dad was meticulous almost to a fault. He kept records of loads, when he bought the powders and primers and even made notes of how each rifle and pistol liked each load he made. Nothing has not worked. I would load them with lite, by the book loads and try them out.

Just another tid-bit, ask questions. To local gunsmiths, find local gun shops that have reloading equipment in store and ask the guys on here. I have only been a member for a week or so but would look here and read some of the threads and it has helped.

Good luck and pass it on when you get it down pat!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts