I have some Sierra 250 MK, 300 gr AB and 300 gr Berger Elite hunting bullets
With Hornady brass and WLRM primers

alright my friend hear is what I have so far.. first rifle specs

26inch rock creek 1/9.5 twist
stiller tac 338 with seekins box mag
McMillan stock
338 lapua mag built by Kevin cram MCR

loads are with rl33, lapua virgin brass, fed215m, 300otms

load workup was done at 450ft elevation temp 50 degrees.

started at 91 grains to b safe. low starting point IMO.. in worked up to 103g of powder in 1 grain increments to get baseline and save bullets. low fps was around 2450.. with 103 catching around 2870 but my chrono is like a woman sometimes;) I did all workup at 200 yards, with all but 2 rounds going into a 1.75-2 inch area.. for my rifle 99-102 shot into almost the same hole. 103 showed sign of stiff bolt.. slight but enough that I will not go farther, but showed no other signs such as flat primer, loose pockets or ejector marks of any kind. this was compressed load with my seating depth which was 3.050 for all work up.. which is .090 off lands for me. I then went back to the house and loaded 5 rounds at 100..100.5.... and so on.. and took them right out to 500. all loads shot under or at 1/2 moa.. but best was with 100.5 grains with shot into 1.75 at 500. fps average was 2775 but drop will confirm forsure tomorrow when I do 700-1000 yards.. I would be happy with any of those loads. I have an es of 9 with that load... the others has es of under 20 so no worries their either.. I also tested them in 25 degree cases and saw little to any fps change.. this powder is GTG I think.. I will have more data tomorrow as I'm loading some at 100.5 grains and 101 and doing drop test.. should b fun and hope this helps

From what I have read, RL33 likes to be loaded close to the lands. From the testing I have done with the RL33 in a 338 Edge I have gotten a big jump in velocity. 300 gr Berger OTM's shot an average of 2997 over my Magnetospeed. First loads were seated .040 off the lands ( the same seating depth as my H1000 Load ) in new Bertram brass. I am going to load up some this week at a longer OAL to see if it makes a difference.

Initial test showed 1/2 moa groups at 200 yards and consistent hits on the steel gong at 1200 yards. It shoots 8 moa over my H1000 load in the same rifle.

I plan to do more testing with various seating depths and at various temps as the winter season progresses.

I will post results of those test when I can.

Randy

RL 33 in Lapua is my go to powder

I have used H1000 and Magnum and Retumbo and RL 25 all in my Rem 700 Tact in 338 Lapua, best results with RL 33.

how's it working for ya. it works awesome in the edge and lapua!!! down to 20 degrees also

kasey

Closer to the lands you get the vel goes up. Accuarcy my decrease or increase
Berger VLD like it pretty close.

I went to the Sierra MK less fussy about COAL and the Accubonds 300 gr for hunting

From what I have read, RL33 likes to be loaded close to the lands. From the testing I have done with the RL33 in a 338 Edge I have gotten a big jump in velocity. 300 gr Berger OTM's shot an average of 2997 over my Magnetospeed. First loads were seated .040 off the lands ( the same seating depth as my H1000 Load ) in new Bertram brass. I am going to load up some this week at a longer OAL to see if it makes a difference.

Initial test showed 1/2 moa groups at 200 yards and consistent hits on the steel gong at 1200 yards. It shoots 8 moa over my H1000 load in the same rifle.

I plan to do more testing with various seating depths and at various temps as the winter season progresses.

I will post results of those test when I can.

Randy

can you share your results ? I just got my hands on some RL33, have been using RL25 and H1000 in my 338 Edge , very interested in your load data !

Suggest Alliant website for load data ........worked for me.

Very happy with RL 33......need at least 26" barrel

My Moose load for 2014

338 Lapua
300 Nosler Accubond
Reloader 33 @ 94.0
WLRM primer in Hornady Brass
2643 FPS

Rem 700P Tactical 26"
3.650" COAL

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.