reloader 25 vs retumbo

north of 53

I live in Canada on the prairies and shoot 5 or 6
Ok I know this may start a fight but I would like some thoughts on reloader 25 vs Retumbo. I am loading a 300RUM and using 180 nosler ballistic tip and 180 Nosler Accubonds. I have used both powders a little but would like the thoughts of others that have used them. They both have worked not badly. Also any other tips on reloading a 300RUM. I am not looking to go to anything over 180 grain as I am only shooting deer with this. But would like to shoot a few at out over the 500 yard mark out to around 700 if I can get it shooting well enough.
I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Alot of people swear by retumbo. My gun doesn't like it that well. It likes rl25 with both 180's and 200's. I might add that with the 200 gr accubond. 92gr rl25 gets me about 3150fps and 95 gr retumbo got me 3140fps averages. So I call velocity a push between the two. Shoot whatever works best. If they both work well, then take temp sensitivity, S deviation, and extreme velocity spreads into account and make your choice. Those aren't the only two powders for the rum. just the most popular.

dufur,

That's a good advice. My two 300 RUMS shoot so well with Retumbo that I did not see the need to try them with RL25.
I need to say that I only shoot 190, 200 and 210 grains bullets.

My .300 RUM likes RL-25. with almost any bullet in the 180 to 200 gr range. Don't discount the 200 gr Accubond as opposed to the 180. The gains are minimal with the 180, and past about 400 yds, the 200 gr has the advantage. And a 200 gr bullet is not too big for deer. mtmuley

Have used both in my 26" Hart and accuracy is good for either with the RL 25 getting a little more velocity but the Retumbo gets me better ES and SD numbers in both the 180 BT and 200 AB.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.