Reloader 17 temp sensitive?

ShooterMedic

So I have been using RL 17 in my 300 wsm and I am loving it.

But I went out after some rock chucks the other day and noticed I was getting some pressure sings on my brass and my gun was shooting about three inches high not normal.

I did most of my load testing with the out side temps any where from 30-55 degrees The day I was shooting rock chucks it was in the high 70's

any one else had this problem?

I noticed it somewhat, I was shooting about .5moa higher at 1000 last weekend when it was in the mid 90s compared to 70s the time before that.

Your load must have been warm in the 30-50degree and now it's real toasty. I would drop down a little and worm up again.

I have been hearing a few reports of high pressure with R17 when temps go up. The worst I heard was from a guy loading it in his 300WSM and while shooting his loaded ammo was sitting in direct sunlight heating up.

Oliveralan and ShooterMedic, have either of you chrono'd your loads at the different temperatures? I'd like to hear if it's a fairly consistent/predictable decrease from one temperature to another.

I'm curious as I'd like to try this powder in my 243.

Thanks,
Chris

I've never worked with a powder that wasn't to some degree temperature sensitive. It's actually quite expected. Definitely keep ammo out of the sun.

Even the varying temperature resulting in varying time between shots affects velocity - although that's not specifically a result of the powder.

to me RL 17 seems edgy its been somewhat unpredictable for me for whatever reason. I can say that from 80 degrees down to about 35 you will loose about 50FPS in a 243 ai, thats what it did for me. it also shoots a .75" group at 200 yards but will turn into 5.5" of vertical at 500+ yards, even more troubling is all shots were on the extreme end of that, so 1 or 2 shots followed by 1 or 2 5.5" below that, no shots in the middle, for me thats a miss at 500 yards on a coyote every time.

h4831 SC brought my 500 yard vertical spreads down to less than 2.5" and often times around .75 to 1"

I experienced the same in approximately the same conditions while utilizing 17 in a 25-06 load. While all are a bit sensitive to temperature deltas, I now choose to not use 17 any longer.

I have ~ 3 lbs I will gladly trade/sell if anyone is ever in the Albany NY area......

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.