Reloader 15 & temp sensitivity; who has tested ii?

Alan Griffith

It's all here! New gun, scope, dies and components. My research indicates Reloader 15 is a solid performer with the 120-130 gr class of bullets for the 6.5x47 Lapua. I load Reloader 22 & 25 and am aware of it's sensitivity to temp swings. I read where some think Reloader 15 does the same. I'm not looking for heresay. I'm looking for individuals who actually witness temp swings when using Reloader 15.

Anyone!

Alan

Last weekend the temps were in the mid 30sF. I had some .308 reloads with 150bt and r15. According to QL, my hottest loads should have been faster than 2850fps. I was expecting something at least close to that, instead all I could squeeze out was 2666fps from my 20"bbl!!! It was a very good group, but the FPS weren't in the ballpark. That has me stumped??? The only thing I can guess is extreme temp sensitivity? Its my first experience with r15, but I'm not too impressed.
BTW, I shot 2 other rifles that day and one showed within 10fps of where it should be, but another with factory ammo was also about 100fps slow.
I'm actually hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Dntfxr

Sorry to hijack with my first post. I can't say that R15 was temp sensitive in my case, I really don't know. The rifle I used was an LTR with a VERY long throat (.2") so that could have something to do with it. It also may have been the br2 primers not being hot enough? I'm going to do more experimenting with OAL and maybe magnum or WLR primers to see if that affects things. I'll also shoot again in warm weather to see if temp had anything to do with it.
Dntfxr

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.