reloader 15 question

hittman86

does anyone know if alliant has changed anything about reloader 15? i ask because i making a batch of 308 last night using a charge of 43.6 under a 168 amax i was getting some crunching seating the bullet. this has never been a compressed charge before and im just curious why now and not before. i seat to 2.8.

maybe I just didnt feel the crunching last time, but if anyone shoots a load similar to this what is your brass life? my pockets seem to be getting loose after the second load. brass started as virgin winchester full length sized and trimmed and neck sized after it was fired in my chamber. just wanting some opinions before i spend the money on lapua brass or the like.

What primers are you using? Some brands seen to be smaller than others. I've been having good luck with the CCIs in the Winchester brass but I've been using the Federal primers in the Federal brass.

im using winchester LR primers thought about trying some ccis. I am not a fan of federal anything after i had a ruptured primer due a loose pocket on the first loading after it was shot as a factory load.(all be that was in 7mm mag)

I use 47grns of Varget under 168 amaxs in win brass with cci br2s at 2.855", that's much hotter than what your running and I can get atleast 10 reloads, usually more.

I haven't noticed any changes in Reloader15, but have noticed changes in both Winchester as well as Remington brass. I have heard rumors of Asian sourcing. If true, that might explain the change in quality. I have had loose primer pockets, deformed new brass, and a lower number of reloads compared to older brass. I only use Lapua now. It's well worth the extra $$$$.

that load should be a mildly compressed load. Could be too if you previously loaded in comercial brass and switched to the LC youd notice a bit of differnce as most military brass has a bit less case capacity.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.