Relearning Reloading - Need Advice

OK, on the topic of the dies I am confused: how are you sizing your brass this? Seems most of you are using multiple brands at different stages but I canot get a handle on what the process is.

For my 30-30 I would full length size and trim any brass that had not gone through my rifle. If I had shot it I would only neck size it and see if it needed to be trimmed. I was doing this with lyman dies and a handloader. Accurcy was fairly good, but then again we are only talking about 100 - 150 yard shots with open sights.

For a long range/precision application, what is the process you all are using for new brass? For brass from your rifle? Where in all of this are you using f/l or neck dies? I am trying to get some dies and getting the impression that this information will correlate to the purchase of individual dies or die sets from various companies to get the best loads.

Books are coming that were recommended. Got some Lapua brass coming, so here we go...

Thanks.

OK, on the topic of the dies I am confused: how are you sizing your brass? Seems most of you are using multiple brands at different stages, but I canot get a handle on what the process is.
For your Lapua brass, the only preparation the new brass should need is to be passed over an expander mandrel or have an expander button run through the necks to round them out. Check to be sure you have a good inside chamfer (VLD is preferred).

When loading for a factory chamber, many prefer to use the Lee collet die in conjunction with a Redding body die; the body die is used to bump the case shoulder when chambering becomes difficult. Using a bushing neck die in conjunction with the body die will achieve the same end.

Another approach is to have an FL die's neck sized (Forster performs this service for their die)) to the dimensions of the particular brass/bullet combination. This is used to partially FL sizes the case (bumping the shoulder back a thousandth or two). A bushing FL die accomplishes the same.

The choice in seating dies is influenced by the comparative dimensions of the chamber and the magazine. If your loaded round length is confined to the magazine's length, a micrometer seating die has limited utility. The Forster BR (standard) seater has an alignment sleeve and is a preferred choice. If the bullet's seating depth is loaded to throat dimensions, either the Forster or Redding micrometer seaters are choices.

Have you considered the need for a run-out gauge?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts