Reflex sight for short shots?

300WinFan

Guys,

I have one hunting rifle (that's all my budget allows right now). It's a Savage LRH topped with a 5.5-22x56 NF NXS (not a bad setup if I do say so myself). This works great for mid-range/ long range shots, but sometimes where I hunt much shorter shots present themselves (deer hunting).

There are times when that 5.5 magnification is just too much to find that deer in the cross-hairs, especially if I have to make a quick shot. So I have been thinking about adding a reflex sight to my setup.

I have concerns. First I would have to mount the reflex sight on TOP (or on the side) of my NF. I have actually seen it done before, but am wondering if the sights have enough adjustment for being mounted so high?

If anyone has comments/ recommendations I would REALLY appreciate the feedback. I doubt I'm the first person to ever have this issue :p

Thanks!

What type of reflex sight? Like the mini leupold versions or like an EOtech? I would recommend just getting a quick detachable mount and putting a lower variable scope on it. The scope is more precise and has some magnification so you are focused on the target and not the surroundings. Also, the side mount or top mounts are sexy on ARs, but ARs have a much lower profile than a bolt action so it's easier to get the sights configured how you would like. Last but not least I used an EOtech in AFG and at dusk it would drown out the target, and it was still difficult to use with the night vision option. Also, the M68 optics red dot floated in the scope so it drove me crazy not having the dot centered on a target when I shot. I quickly switched to the ACOG. Reflex sights are great optics for CQ and engagements within a hundred yards but with the setup you currently have I think it would be difficult to achieve an accurate and comfortable shot. So, plus one for a lower powered scope. I hoped I helped.

No, you're not the first. I'm currently building a new ar-15 and a 26 nosler bolt gun and on both of them I am using a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce, mounted in a Spuhr with a trijicon reflex sight. The reflex sights provide such a quick, easy point of aim for close shots and the spuhr mount makes it easy to mount everything correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.