refinishing lam. stock

boomhand

I just bought a new used Rem. 700 LSS with the high gloss gray lam. stock. I'm don't like the gloss shine for a hunting gun and want to know the best way to remove the finish without damaging the checkering? Also if I reseal it with an oil or some kind of satin finish should I do the bedding area before I glass bed the action?

This link has several ways to refinish stocks most are used when finishing multiple stocks but the results are hard to beat. The Gunsmiths :: Log in
If your going to bed the action you don't need to finish it, the bedding material will seal the wood.
Before removing the finish try rubbing it down with 0000 steel wool it will remove the shine. To remove the finish you can use a paint stripper, Brownell's sells several good ones, it won't affect the checkering if it gets into it just use a tooth brush to remove any finish in the checkering, If its a hand checkering job a checkering oil is used to protect it.

Wet Sanding

I just finished a A5L form start to finish. I would try either the 0000 steel wool or try wet sanding it. I would start with a light wet sand with 1000grit.
I would just caution that you sand slightly with a block and be carful around the sharp edges, the finish comes off really fast around them.
I finished it off with some auto clearcoat polish hand rubbed.

Willys did a fine job finishing his A-5L...

If you send me a PM with a contact number, I'll call and share some of my "secrets" ;) with you.

Joel has some good "secrets" realy like the wood sealer one.

for knocking back your finish from gloss to satin I would first try some 0000 steel wool and if that doesen't work a light buffing with grey scotch bright will work , I resort to sanding las especialy with a block as yu can easly get thin spots or ven make it though the finish.
You shoulden't need to "refinish" or resael the stock as you shoulden't be going through the first finish just scuffing it up a bit.

You could always strip the stock back completely and but on a good oil finish or satin finish. I was just screwing around with some rattle can stuff from wally world and found that it worked realy well and ended up finishing my A5-L with that in a satin finish , it worked very well but you must take your time and use the proper steps between coats.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the steel wool a try. Doesn't look like anything needs to be done within the checkering. I'll reach out to you Joel when I get to applying the finish.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.