Reed's 17cal 32gr

I am sure that there have been improvements made to the bullets since the early 80's . I don't know what kind of winds you have in N.C. here in the mountains and foot hills we have gusting winds often swirling so they aren't from one direction and may be up or down ward called rotators , up and down drafts . Today we have gusting winds from 15 to 30 mph mainly out of the south east ,it really doesn't make much difference what round you choose to use here the wind will affect it at some point in time . I tried that chambering back then and found it not suited for my needs if it works for you fine and good for you , enjoy shooting it and the best of luck to you with it . For me I found that the 223 with 55gr Sierra boat tail hollow point game king worked best for my needs and did little fur damage when loaded to run at 2900 f.p.s.m.v . . Yes they had wind drift also but worked out didn't exit most times and dropped the animals in their tracks when I did my part as will the 17Rem and many other calibers . Rifles , calibers and almost anything else in life is a matter of what each of us find to our liking and fits our needs the best in our opinion . A Chevy , Ford , Toyota or any other truck may or may not fit your , or my needs it's up to each of us to find what will or will not work for us and as I live in the United States of America as do you we are able to have and state our opinions as long as we aren't causing harm to others or people that aren't old enough to fend for them selves even the president of the U.S. can act a fool and show his back side if he so chooses .
Didn't mean to start a ruckus.
I live in the Smoky's which may not be has high as where you're at. Interesting enough, I've hunted Coyotes in many other States.
I bought my first 17 rem. in 1971. I also like the Sierra 55gr.sp #1365 in 223 for Coyotes and found it to be a very consistent performer in .223.

I live at 4800 feet elevation and often hunt at and above 7000 feet elevation . The mountains here are rough and rocky with a lot of deep canyons and draws that cause varying wind currents on average we have around 20 percent humidity so our air is also thin running in the 19-21 percent O2 range . Today we have steady winds of 15-25 mph with gusts to 40 mph I do my best not to shoot after 20 mph if I can help it but the world isn't a perfect place for that very often , there are days that you don't have winds that will affect your shooting as well . If you go to take a shot at 500 yards you may have wind in three different directions and speeds between you and your intended target with the terrain because of the rocks causing swirls in the wind as well as some bare ground causing uneven surface heating and up drafts . The wind blowing across a some what flat surface then hitting a steep cliff face changes from flat to up then to a rotating wind at the top of the rise as it begins to top out and return to the flat ground again causing a horizontal rotating wind . Our world has many different types of environments depending on where we live they may only be a short drive away to a whole different type . It wouldn't make any difference what it is that you shoot eventually you will encounter wind drift with it in my part of the country even the 6.5's drift at times . The little 17HMR does ok as it isn't meant to be used much past 100 yards and I have had as much as 8" drift at 200 yards aiming at the rib cage and hitting in the neck with the 25 gr. 17 rem. due to unseen winds .

Recent Posts