Reduced Practice Loads (Help)

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Bull45cal., Jan 8, 2008.

1. Bull45cal.

Bull45cal. Well-Known Member

I used "The Load" this weekend to create some practice loads (reduced) for my nephew. As "The Load" states, I used 13grs of Red Dot with regular Large Rifle primers, and 110gr SP bullets in my .30-06. This load is really cool (quite and little recoil like a .223), but the accuracy was not (3"-4" @ 100yrds). So, I played with it and have gotten 1.5"-2" groups at 100yrds. Has anyone else tried this? Is this as good as I can expect? Thoughts, Suggestions, or Ideas?

Thanks,
    Shane

2. britz

britz Well-Known Member

I have never experimented with light loads. THere is the possibility of flash over if the load is too light. My Speer #11 manual reccomends SR 4759 for a reduced load in 110 grain bullets. 17-21 grains. I guess this is a much bulkier powder than something like IMR 4064. I could easily see that if you have an empty case that would cause irratic burning of the powder.

3. kraky2

kraky2 Well-Known Member

Take your post over to Accurate reloading......check it out here..

THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS - Powered by eve community

There is a guy there going by the name of Seafire that has done a ton of this stuff with pistol powders in many calibers and he will share some of his loads and successes.

4. Bull45cal.

Bull45cal. Well-Known Member

Thanks

Thanks for your help guys. I have had good sucess with 150gr Sierra Game Kings (1-1.25 moa @ 100yrds) in early test, going to see if I can duplicate it again and again. I will check out Seafire and see what else he can tell me. Thanks Again!