Reduced load in .308win

clemens

Has anyone used or know if a lighter bullet in .30 that would work well for whitetail deer. Using 150gr in both my daughters .308s. They shoot them well, was just thinking of something little lighter.

I have experimented with both the 130 TTSX as well as the 110 TTSX AAC in my nieces .308 Mossberg ATR 100 youth. Using H4895, the 130 (can't remember the velocity) was pretty good and the 110 (at 2550) was well within the minute of boiler room of a white tail at 100 yards. Recoil of the 110 was less than a .243 and was pretty much giggle inducing but should still harvest any white tail or mulie within 200 yards of your daughters.

I also have a 130 ttsx, reduced recoil loaded up with good accuracy. I would have to check my load data for powder charge and velocity. The recoil is very light.

Thanks guys for the reply. Did some looking and seemed like lighter stuff was more towards varmints. This will definitely help

For a light game like white tail, I would try the 125 nosler ballistic tip or 125 grain accubond, depending on the performance you like. Either would work fine, white tail are not big critters, and both shpuld be easy to get accurate, and will give the light recoil your looking for.

Last edited:
https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

light recoil will reduce your velocity, make sure to pick a bullet that will still expand well at that lower velocity..
a solid copper bullet like a barnes or gmx ,would not be my choice but, obviously outnumbered in this thread
IMO a round nose jacketed soft point would fit the situation better
I do agree here, if your going for light recoil in a .308, the 125 Ballistic tip would be my hands down choice for white tail. The barnes seem to perform better at higher velocity, however a 125 BT loaded to 2700 is going to be a powder puff to shoot, and still do plenty of terminal damage to drop deer like nobodies business.

There is the 150gr speer gold dot for 300 blackout. Reliable expansion down below 1600fps. You could do a reduced load with H4895 and still have good sectional density for penetration.

I discovered this load that I now use all the time myself for deer while doing a work up for my friends girlfriend. Work up to it because it is about MAX, WW case, CCI BR-2 primer, 46grs IMR 4895, 125 Nosler BT. Out of a 22 inch barrel it runs 3000 fps which is as fast as you should run it. Impact needs to be under 3000 fps for best performance. This is a tack driver in every rifle I have tried it in. The 125 BT is a game bullet not a varmint bullet. I use it in all my 30 cal. weapons for deer. Just keep impact under 3000 fps and it works BANG FLOP most of the time. I am told that Varget and WW748 also works well with this bullet. Recoil is much less than 150s also.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.