Redfield?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by NKYhunter, Jul 15, 2012.

1. NKYhunter

NKYhunter Member

Been looking at the Revolution 4x12x40mm. Read some good reviews and it seems like a good scope for the money. Anyone use a Redfield? Is their a better scope for around $350?

2. KansasCowboy

KansasCowboy Member

I've got the Revolution 3-9x40 on one of my .270s. It works great and holds it's zero as well as any other scopes I own. I can't tell a difference between it and my Leupold VX-2 and I paid half as much for the Redfield. Redfield is now owned by Leupold and I assume they make their Redfields as the same quality of the lower end Leupolds. You shouldn't be dissapointed.

3. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I would not make that assumption. Its cheap for a reason.

4. green 788

green 788 Well-Known Member

For 300 to 350 dollars I'd go with a Weaver Grand Slam... check Natchez or Midway, I saw some good sales on those this month.

I had one of the earlier Redfield Revolutions and it was an okay scope. Rubber ring came off the eyepiece... glass was on par with a decent Simmons scope, but not as good as a Denver 5 Star Redfield 3 to 9 I have...

Dan

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Yes, I have the 3-9 on my son's .30-06 ~ 3 years ago and is holding up very well with 165-180 grainers. It's not an assumption but a favorable personal experience, they are very well built. I don't consider them "cheap" but rather nicely priced for the budget conscious hunter/shooter. In short, it's a good scope for the money. The Revenge line is also gaining grounds.

I compared it with similarly priced scope like the Nikon ...

[​IMG]

My co-worker had exactly the one I compared with and he let me field and range test it. My son decided on the Redfield.

For ~$400, check out the Zeiss conquest. Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

6. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

I paid $175 for mine from E-bay. Its "OK" but I wouldnt buy another one and NO WAY would I give $350 for one of them

7. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Ive got a Nikon here waiting for a 25-06AI to get put together so I have somewhere for it. The Revolution is no where close to the Nikon line for optics.

8. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

I didn't see anything where OP is paying $350 for a Redfield. For the scopes compared in #5, my son and I considered the Redfield more suited for our shooting and hunting needs, and most importantly, our eye sights.

9. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

" Anyone use a Redfield? Is their a better scope for around $350?"......That sure sounds like he is placing the Redfields in the $350 catagory.

The Nikons and the Zeiss are FAR about the optics of the Redfields. The Zeiss specially.

10. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

gun)
    I took it as he's considering the Redfield and capping his budget for optics at $350 - MSRP for the scope in question is $325. It's on sale at Opticsplanet for $220.

Not all Nikon are created equal, those I tested are comparable as evident of the price. Again, as noted end user has the ultimate decision.

11. NKYhunter

NKYhunter Member

^ That's it. Sorry for the confusion. I have looked at a few Nikons and liked them a lot. Just thought the Redfields had a good price tag.

12. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

No problem, no confusion here! Good luck on your choice of scopes.

13. NKYhunter

NKYhunter Member

Thanks. Headed to Bass pro. on friday. I know it's prob. not the best place to shop, but it's descent and really the only place I have close other than the internet.

14. NKYhunter

NKYhunter Member

Scratch that last post. There is a smaller gun shop near me that I just learned offers the entire Weaver line. I am going to look at the 40/44 line of scopes.