Redfield Style Scope Base

blackco

Thanks you all for "learnin'" me on scope tubes; as always very informative.

I need some additional guideance, this time on scope bases/rings and maybe some of the other new members can learn something too.

I hear the brand names of many different scope base/rings that are used and I am unfamilier with many of them.

The question I have is: Is a Redfeild style (dovetail twist and windage screws) base and rings worthy of a long range rig or should I invest in a different style. It will be going on a 300RUM, Rem700 doner action, being built right now. If it isn't up to par what recomendations do you have for a newbie. Price is a consideration but not a deal breaker for "useable" quality.

Thanks for your help and wisdom.

The one pc Redfield base has been the std of mil sniper rifles since the mid 60's for 500-1000 shots by their experts. Tho I dont think Redfield makes it any more it is available in plentiful supply at gun shows, or by Leupold and others. And its available for either right hand or correct hand bolt actions. Maybe the patent ran out and everyones making them now, not sure. I had one on a long range 308 and I loved it's precison and alignment. The mil machines the front of the one pc base a few thou to get the base tilted downhill for more elevation in their scopes.

The old Redfield style base isn't nearly as good as the big solid "tactical" bases and rings supplied by Seekins Precision, Badger Ordnance and others. It hasn't been used on U.S. Military sniper rifles in a very long time.

It will work temporarily, and it will likely do okay... But if you're serious about the LR game, strongly consider a better setup.

Welcome to Seekins Precision - Glen builds a great setup at a reasonable price. The 20 MOA base will help tremendously at longer ranges too.

Regards, Guy

416585.jpg

A Rem 700 that I set up for our county SWAT team. Seekins base and rings with a 30mm tube 3.5-10x Leupold. Sturdy & fairly lightweight.

325091.jpg

Badger Ord base & rings with a U.S. Optics SN3 scope on another SWAT rifle. Very heavy duty setup that has been tested in severe real-world conditions.

Warn also makes a very good, solid base and ring combo, less expensive than the "tactical" or "long-range" base & ring combinations.

All of these work, and don't have the weakness of the rear windage screw that the Redfield (and Leupold STD) bases have. Several of my hunting rifles have the Leupold STD base/ring setup, and one has the old Redfield setup, but for a serious long-range rifle, a long-range scope base and ring combo is the way to go.

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.