redding comp seater scratching bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Frogman77, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Frogman77

Frogman77 Well-Known Member

Has anyone had a redding comp seater die scratch bullets? the scratches are only on one side and just in front of the case mouth. I"m seating amax bullets with the vld seating stem. I get marks where the seating stem contacts the bullet as well but not scratches. I cleaned it out with brake cleaner and re lubed lightly, but didn't lube inside where the cartridge contacts the case.

Any thoughts at all? THe scratches aren't deep. Just on the surface. Redding said to send it back for them to polish, but then I'll be out of a die for a while.

2. 6.5x284tony

6.5x284tony Well-Known Member

I am also having the same problem with a set for 7mm rem. mag. Not sure what to do about it.

Tony.

3. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

" Redding said to send it back for them to polish, but then I'll be out of a die for a while. "

Do it.

4. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Plus one..

Load up enough rounds to keep you supplied for a while and send it in.

5. Frogman77

Frogman77 Well-Known Member

back to redding it is!

6. DazzH

DazzH Member

Am getting the same scratching with my 7WSM Redding Comp seater! 162gr A-Max bullets.

7. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Most likely, there is a small burr on the seating cone inside the die. It does need to be polished out. Redding is very quick on repairs and only cost to you is postage.