Redding Comp Dies

Well first thing you need to do is read the Redding web site. You need to do some math before you can order a bushing. Second, although you didn't ask I am going to give you my two cents. I have spent a ton of money on these fine quality dies; but I do just as good, if not even better without them. Currently, I use a Forster benchrest seater, Redding body and Lee, yes Lee collet die for neck sizing. If you want to full length re-size redding or Forster is great. Save yourself some money and give it a try.

Doug

You might want to read this.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/techlinepages/bushingselection.htm

Keep in mind that these dies were designed for match/bench chambers with close fitting necks. That is why they recommend bushings that are 0.002" smaller than loaded neck diameter. With hunting chambers, the fired neck will be quite a bit larger, so there needs to be some trial and error, because a bushing that is 0.002" under may size the neck way too much.

Pay particular attention to the second to last paragraph that starts with, "... it has come to our attention through customer calls and our own use of the bushing style sizing dies that in certain instances,".

I have used the comp dies alot,the problem is i do not have a loaded round to mic.Looking at Reddings Bushing chart range for the 300wsm,they call for .335 - .343 i would have to buy 9 differant bushings at 19.00 apiece to cover it.I was hopeing someone that has used the comp dies for the 300wsm could tell me what bushings there using and save me the cost of a box of shells or bushings i don't need.

If you have a fired case, measure the wall thickness of the neck, multiply X 2, and add .308. That will give the the loaded neck diameter.

Get a bushing 0.002" under, and you will be OK to start.

... you gotta start somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.