Red Streaks In Barrel

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Browninglover1, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

My old man just bought a Browning 1885 that looks like it has never been shot. So I set his scope up for him and decided to clean it before we go and shoot it tomorrow and the first 2 patches came out a matte red color. After that the bore was spotless. What would the red be? I'm wondering if it was factory grease.... does anybody know what it might be?

Thanks
    Justin

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Rust, hopefully just surface from sitting around.

3. Browninglover1

I've cleaned rust out of barrels and never seen anything this color. It was really red, almost like a matte finish fire truck. If it's rust it looks to be minimal because after 2 patches and some brushing I can't get anything else out of it. Thanks for the reply.

4. texan79

texan79 Well-Known Member

Cosmoline (sp?). Packing grease is my guess. Long trip from Japan, guess they want it shiny when it arrives.

5. LongBomber

LongBomber Well-Known Member

Tranny fluid? It's pretty popular in colder parts as a fire arm lube since it doesn't get too thick when its cold out.

6. Browninglover1

I don't know what the red streaks actually were, but we took her out for the first time Saturday afternoon and she shot 5 shot groups right around an inch with factory Winchester loads. I'm hoping with a little reloading we can really make her shoot. Thanks for all the posts.

7. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

is it a paintball gun??:D