Red dot for ar15

I love EOTechs, and I also have a Vortex Spitfire 3x on one of my uppers. I like the Vortex, too.

I am not a fan of Aimpoint, but lots of people like them, as well. Elcan Specter is another good one, and the Trijicon Reflex.

I just put a Strikefire II on my AR. Had 2 of the set up very similar, so changed on.

Came with Cantilever mount, battery and dust covers: works great for shorter ranges, has a 4MOA dot and no magnification.

Steel plates out to 150 yds are no problem, they do make a magnifier that you can add, that might be added in the further (but not sure)

Can NOT go wrong with Vortex

V/R
M.Bird

Mud lol you and I are oppisite on this. I hated my eotech. Like my vortex strikefire and like my aim point. But love my Burris m tac. I can get on target fast with as large of fov as eotech. Plus I can zoom it to 4 X. Also if batteries die it still works. I went fully prepared to by an eotech for my .458 socom and walked out with that and love it. Can't believe it either cause I hate Burris. No reason to just usually don't like them.

I think my Vortex srike eagle 1-6 is pretty hard to fault. In my opinion it has all the advantages of a red dot, with the option of magnification to go with it.

Vortex Optics - Strike Eagle Riflescopes

I shot this group with it a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• 100_4097.jpg
    100_4097.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_4098.jpg
    100_4098.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 112
^^^^^ I'd have to agree with this guy, a small yet variable telescopic sight is hands down my favorite for an AR. While I run a 1.25-4x, the Strike Eagle looks like a good choice as well. The extra power can only help & if the battery dies, you can still use the sight :cool:

If you're dead set on a Red Dot, you can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned products. I would put the EOTech & AimPoint first, with the Vortex taking up the rear. While my Vortex hasn't let me down, I prefer the top tier sights slightly better.

t

I have a Burris Mtac on my 300 Blackout AR after trying a conventional scope set up and for what the 300 is intended for the Mtac works best. The Fastfire that came with it is sitting on my 1911. I was running open sights on my Ruger SR 556 and saw a demo Strikefire (old model) in a gun shop for a little over a hundred bucks and grabbed it. It even had the 3x magnifier in the box. It is plenty accurate for pig ambush situations. Last I bought a CMore railway sight that works with the open sights on a Colt AR 22 rimfire. I can rattle a five inch steel disc at fifty yards pretty easily with this set up. The Strike Eagle or Mtac gets my vote. Also I have a Colt 5.56 upper for longer shots fitted with a Leupold VXR Firedot 3x9x40 that's more of a conventional scope than red dot and is a little harder to get on target fast.

I think my Vortex srike eagle 1-6 is pretty hard to fault. In my opinion it has all the advantages of a red dot, with the option of magnification to go with it.

Vortex Optics - Strike Eagle Riflescopes

I shot this group with it a couple of weeks ago.

I have that on my 300blk and I do prefer that to the red dot. But it's still not as quick as the red dot on the fly. Also if going a scope the mtac is best of both worlds. Close to the eotech picture but with zoom of a scope. It's way above the vortex for replacing a red dot. Plus it comes with a fastfire 3 that can be used elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.