Recovered bullet from a 700 yard kill

Ian M

A friend just sent me a factory loaded 168 gr. Winchester Ballistic Silvertip that he recovered from a mulie that was right around 700 yards when the bullet went through its heart. Went in between two ribs, through the top of the heart and smacked an offside rib, stopped under the hide.

Interesting bullet recovery, no core, simply a jacket with a fairly large front hole, one ripped section of tip area turned back over. No doubt the core was nearby (unfound) and it did the most damage, there is not much weight to the jacket alone. Very little mushrooming took place. The plastic tip is gone and the core is gone, otherwise pretty much the entire jacket is there.
Deer died quickly. Testomony to the "hawsom-killin' parr" of the mighty .308 Win.
wink.gif
In reality it simply indicates that a relatively un-mushroomed bullet through the top of the heart - results in a fatal experience for the shootee. A second smaller deer at about the same distance had a complete pass-thru with the same factory loaded bullet.

This further re-enforces my opinion that the .308 Win. is a 600 yard killer on deer, starts to poop-out after 650-700 yards. We seem to get superb kills out between 500 and 600 yards tho.

Ian-- I recovered three bullets from the six deer I killed this year. They were all 180 gr Ballistic Tips shot from a .300 WM at 3100fps MV. Shots were close and ranged from75 to 260 yds. Performance was all the same, but I actually recovered two plastic tips from inside the deer. They all had bullet size entry holes and golf ball sixed exits, on the three that exited. Of the three that I recovered, two were intact mushrooms and the other was the jacket only. I was surprised I recovered the ones I did, one as a lengthwise shot from the front that was recovered in the pelvic bone. The other two were broadside and were under the offside hide...

Ian,

would it be possible to extend the effective range in 308 to 800 yards on deer size game by using a more less sturdy bullet?

I will be trying some AMAX's this season and hope to test this out. Hopfully at 800. I have seen some come out of a sand bank that were pretty "shroomed" he he he he!

I use to use the 150 nosler ballistic tip and quite after 1 season. I shot a small dall ram at 275 yards with it. MV was 3100 FPS, altitude was 4500' and a warm day. In other words that bullet was smoking when it hit him. I hit him square in the shoulder blade. The bullet exited through the oposite sholder blade. It was a .30 cal hole. I lost alot of meat on the impact shoulder and nothing on the exit. I went to SMK's and started blowing tenis ball size holes out the other side. Bone impact or not. I want to try accubonds and AMAXs next.

Michael,
I would give the 150 or 165 Interbond a try way out there, and for sure the Amax. Maybe by then Nosler will have a lighter Accbond than the 180's - here's hopin'.

I will be testing into my clay media this spring at long range and will let you know how these bullets perform. (Afraid if I try the clay right now I might get some rebounds back in my direction
grin.gif
. Another nasty cold spell coming in, **** wind chills.

Ian,
I used that same 168gr bullet in my 7400 .308, last year for deer, on the 3 i shot none of the bullets exited and all i found was the core, 2 of the bullest never made it to the opp. hide the ranges were 80-200 yards. All the deer had quarter-half dollar size holes in them.

Brian

It's not odd for this to happen. Our .308 Win service rifles in the Marine Corps (M40A1) had the same problems with bal tips. We did some testing of the ballistic tips and saw core/jacket seps A LOT. Never really determined the cause. Especially at ranges over 500yds. Needless to say, we never adopted the BT! I have been using the Silver Bal Tips (30cal 150gr) with great luck so far. 14 out 16 shots were instant kills. The other two, the deer only took a couple steps and then keeled over, dying within a few seconds. Good luck!

TH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts