Recommendations for a whitetail load in .243

CRNA

I would like to develop a light load in .243 capable of effectively putting down whitetail. I am going to be loading these for my son (9 years old), and was thinking of using the lightest bullet that would still get the job done and with reduced powder charge so the recoil wouldn't be too much for him. It's a Rem model 700, and with the factory 100gr. bullets it does have a decent kick (for 9 year old standards). Any load recommendations on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

The 85-90 grain load will kick noticable less in a light .243.

My son shoots Federal ammo with the 85 Barnes TSX in his. I loaded up some 100 grn hornadys and he noticed the increased kick right away (wasn't even a max load). He said he'd rather shoot the 85's, and he's 19 now.

The 85 Barnes will fly about 3200'/sec and shoot moa pretty easily. He's taken alot of big mule deer and a couple of whitetail and a doe antelope with his Browning Lever Rifle and that load......Distances have been about 150 yds to 250 yds.

Here's a pic of him with a whietail and muley doe from 2 seasons ago. Guess I should've had him get his rifle in the photo too.

PICT0075.jpg

You can see, these are pretty good sized deer. Boy is about 5' 9" and we're guessing the buck weighed every bit of 250 lbs.

Last edited:
You might not want to "down load" with the 85 Barnes, it may not expand if you do.

But, there are other 85 or 90 grain bullets that would probably do just fine with less velocity.

When my son was younger I loaded up 87gr V-Max. They sure put the smack down on everything. When he turned around 12 I started loading 95gr Bergers and 105gr A-Max. They all shoot great and have not had any problems dropping deer at 500 yards with any of them.

It is not loaded down as far as the velocity is but recoil is lighter than 100 gr.
85 gr Sierra HPBT 37.3 grs IMR 4064, WW case, Fed. 210M Primers will do around 3000 fps out of a 22" barrel. It hammers deer. This is the accuracy and hunting load given in the 50th Anniversary edition Sierra manual except for the case. They used Fed cases.

I made light loads for my friends young son last year . he is about 8 or 9 years old and recoil shy , but he thought these bullets were great . the load is from my speer # 13 manual . I used a sierra 85 grain HPBT bullet . IMR4198 powder , 17.0 grain @ 1796 fps - 19.0 grain @ 2005 fps . I used 17.0 . he did not get a shot at a deer so I can't give you on game performance . Jim

So are the Sierra bullets that you guys are using Matchkings or Gamekings? Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice.

I've had my kid on the 85 tsx for two years now, two deer. She is 13 now. With the way
the 87 vld hunting Berger is shooting in my Sako I'll be working up a load for hers as
well. I loaded a lot of range rounds with 5744 that were really mild, (1900 fps). It allowed
her to shoot a lot without developing a flinch. I used up several odd boxes of bullets
and then the last trip to the range before opener let her shoot the full house tsx loads.
Worked out fine. I agree with the other poster, 85 grain bullets have a lot less felt
recoil than the 95 or 100 grainers in a .243.

If you want a light recoil load, I suggest a really soft bullet with a minimum powder charge. Btip (not sure lightest weight), Remington Accutip, regular Speer bullet (flat base or bt), Hornady SST, or a plain jane Sierra Game king. 90 grain Swift Scirocco would be a good choice too. They will open on a blade of grass. Just pick the slowest load.

My son used the Hornady 95gr superformance (I think) this year (turned 9 in July) and dropped a deer with a high shoulder shot. I told him to shoot it behind the shoulder, but it dropped the deer in his tracks. Shot was somewhere between 80 and 100 yards. He says that it kicks a little, and got scope bit on the first practice shot due to not having the rifle ON his shoulder, rather he had it under his shoulder(leanth of pull was a little long for him. Was hoping that wouldn't scare him away from the round and luckily it didn't. I think with a little practice, you son shouldn't have to have a reduced load. JMO though.

I'm wanting to rebarrel this gun before next deer seasnon with a 6.5 creedmoor, but don't know how much more it would kick than the .243.

My son used the Hornady 95gr superformance (I think) this year (turned 9 in July) and dropped a deer with a high shoulder shot. I told him to shoot it behind the shoulder, but it dropped the deer in his tracks. Shot was somewhere between 80 and 100 yards. He says that it kicks a little, and got scope bit on the first practice shot due to not having the rifle ON his shoulder, rather he had it under his shoulder(leanth of pull was a little long for him. Was hoping that wouldn't scare him away from the round and luckily it didn't. I think with a little practice, you son shouldn't have to have a reduced load. JMO though.

I'm wanting to rebarrel this gun before next deer seasnon with a 6.5 creedmoor, but don't know how much more it would kick than the .243.

A .260 Rem kicks more than a .243 & I'm assuming the Creedmore will be hotter than the .260 Rem. That said, my thin daughter took 2 deer with a .260 Rem (using factory loads) when she was 9 and said she barely felt the recoil. With kids I do not let them practice much with loads that kick or they learn to be afraid of it. Most practice is with the .22 or maybe the .223 A few shots with the hunting load, and it's time for the kid to hunt. Teaching kids that way, I've never had a kid worry about, or have a problem with, recoil.

another tip I'll give you for a new young shooter . I think the BANG is as bad as the kick to them . I make a young shooter wear ear plugs under a set of ear muffs to quiet the sound as much as possible . I think this helps tame recoil too . LOL Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.