Recommendation for Picatinny Base

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by eferry, Jul 9, 2010.

1. eferry

eferry Active Member

Just bought Burris Signature Zee 30" mm rings, but wanted everyones feedback on a good solid picatinny base for my Remington 700 Sendero.

I am really leaning towards steel instead of aluminum since I have the recoil of a 300 ULTRA MAG.

Please let me know what you guys recommend?

Thanks folks.

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

There are several good ones to choose from. But I feel it is hard to beat a Nightforce for the fit, and value. Should be able to get one shipped for about $115 on Fleabay. They are low to the receiver, strong and you can get 0, 20 or 40 moa.

Jeff

3. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

X2 with Broz on this. I think NF bases and rings are top notch and have them on everything that has a pic rail. Near makes really nice products too but Yikes they're expensive.

4. cedarswamp1

cedarswamp1 Active Member

X3 on the Nightforce, I don't know about other mfg's but I like that the Nightforce has a "recoil lug"? for lack of a better word that fits down into the port of the 700, takes some of the forces off the base screws IMHO.

5. freebird63

freebird63 Well-Known Member

As soon as I can find a job I plan on getting a nightforce rail and rings. I too have a sendero and all the reviews I have read about nightforce products, they are the best made. Am thinking about the 20moa rail for mine. If I ever win the lottery and buy my 338 Lapua magnum, I will have a 40moa nightforce rail on it and possibly a nightforce scope.

6. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with EGW aluminum rails on all of my rifles. From my 338 Edge down to my 22-250.

Tough to beat for $40.

7. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I agree on the nightforce base, thats what I have on mine. I tried a highly recommended brand on this site, and when I was preparing to skim bed the rail to my receiver I noticed it didn't look quite right. So, I compared a straight edge that I new was absolutely straight to the base and the base was crooked! It was a 20moa base and about 1/3 of the way from the rear of the base there was a noticeable bow in the base. So, I ordered a nightforce base and did the same comparison and it was as straight as my straight edge. So from now on, nothing but nightforce bases on my rifles.

8. XMC

XMC Well-Known Member

Another +3 for nightforce; I have them on my sendero and two bdl's...

9. kansas45

kansas45 Well-Known Member

I too use EGW rails & rings on several rifles from .22 LR to .308. I find them to be a good affordable well built product.

10. eferry

eferry Active Member

Nightforce 20 moa it is.
    Thanks for everyone's input. Being a new member on this board, it is really great getting everyone's advice. Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ef

11. eferry

eferry Active Member

XMC-

Regarding the NightForce Base you have on your Sendero....Did you have to make any alterations/modifications your Sendero for the Nightforce base to fit?
    I wasnt sure if you had to make any adjustments to your Sendero for the NF base to fit properly?

Just wanted to double-check.

Thanks so much!

EF

12. XMC

XMC Well-Known Member

13. eferry

eferry Active Member

that's an absolute stunner... a bad mammer jammer!!!
    What size and type rings did you go with on that?

14. XMC

XMC Well-Known Member

Thanks I really like this shooter... the scope on the sendero is a Leupold custom build VX-7L 4.5-18x56mm LR, the34mm Leupold PRW rings came with the scope.