recommend remington clone action

ltrshooter

I would appreciate input from members as to which Remington clone action they would recommend and why. I have an ABS 308 barrel en route to a competent gunsmith and would like to replace the action with an already trued up one like: Kelby Atlas, Defiance, Stiller, Lawton, Borden, Surgeon etc. It will have HS Precision stock and DBM. I don't see major differences in advertized cost but price and availability are concerns. Thanks in advance.

I would appreciate input from members as to which Remington clone action they would recommend and why. I have an ABS 308 barrel en route to a competent gunsmith and would like to replace the action with an already trued up one like: Kelby Atlas, Defiance, Stiller, Lawton, Borden, Surgeon etc. It will have HS Precision stock and DBM. I don't see major differences in advertized cost but price and availability are concerns. Thanks in advance.

Mr. Borden uses nothing but Farleys last time I heard, and he's a legend in his own time.
gary

I've always been a huge fan of Glen Harrison's actions and if I were in your situation it would be a Defiance.

Defiance good.

One piece bolt, EDM'd raceways, the equipment used to manufacture them is top notch, and you have a wide variety of options available.

Borden also good.

I've built a lot of rifles on custom actions. Jim's receivers are top shelf and you can't go wrong here either.

Nesika. A name now seemingly long forgotten. I just received one two days ago from them. (down the street from my new shop) From the cursory inspection its back to the quality level that made them one of the most sought after custom actions in the world. It looks very, very nice. I can't wait to start on this build in fact as they will always have hold a special place with me.

Bottom line is in today's world with the internet and level of instant communication an action manufacturer can't afford to put out junk. They are all good. Just a matter of what suites your taste.

Good luck.

C.

Thanks for the replies. I went to my gunsmiths shop today and saw my new ABS barrell and it looks nice. I think he is going to use a Stiller TAC 30 action. He had numerous others to see and truly they all looked nice. I liked the integral recoil lug and scope rail of the Surgeon.

I have not owned enough different customs to comment on many. But I will say that my Defiance Machine is a very nice action and the rifle shoots extremely well. I was able to get it the way I wanted with the fluted one piece bolt and extendd tennon. Their delivery time was spot on and quick. The customer support was also impecable.

Jeff

Hum, Hey. I'm new here :rolleyes:, Joined to clear my doubts out.
Are those "Clones" better than the Remington 700 Action or just a cheaper way to get the same results?

lightbulb-->I would like to know if Rem 700 Action Clones are better than the "Original" Ones or it is just what I mentioned before. <--lightbulb

Another question here: What do you think about GA Precision TEMPLAR Action? Is it good?
Feel free to reply, Sorry for my English, you may find errors.( In my country it isn't really common to see people speaking or writing good english, I do my best. >.<'')

Thank you guys,
Thanks for your time.
-Frank

gun)

Last edited:
For your application,which sounds tactical I'd pick the surgeon. If you want function over light weight the surgeon is it hands down. Super stif,f longer barrel thread contact integral 20 moa rail, and they usually have them in stock at surgeon. I've got several one on a 7WSM, and one being built right now by longrifles inc. that will be a 330 dakota throated to maximize the 250 lapua bullets. Going to use the new mcmillan A-TH stock if it ever shows up!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.