Recommend a tent ?

338 LEGEND

Wanting buying a wall tent for elk hunting, any advice? for four people with a stove option. Also what stove do you recommend?

The Cabelas wall tents are very nice. I would suggest making sure you get 5' side walls. It makes it so much nicer. I would also suggest getting the frame for it. It is worth the money. I think ours is a 12x14 with 5' walls. I think it is about 9' at the peak. We get 4 XL cots in it easily. We use a propane heater in our tent. Used to use a woodstove, but that involves cutting wood, packing chainsaw, gas, etc. We use a seperate tent to cook and eat in. That way you don't have to move things around all the time and keeps the mice out of your sleeping area. You might want one a little bigger if you are going to use it for your cook tent also. Whatever you get, I would get the 5' walls and frame.

Check with Outfitter Warehouse. They carry Montana Canvas Wall Tents I think. Do a google search. There are Canvas tent shops in most every town in the Pacific Northwest. I get my tents from Beckel Canvas in Portland Oregon. My wood stoves are made by a sheet metal shop in Boise Idaho. The stacks all nest inside so that you can pack them on a horse. Lots of stuff out there just look around.

Davis Tent
Montana Tent
Reliable Tent

All three are good options. I have a 12 x 16 Reliable tent that easily handles 4 hunters and gear. I use cots for sleeping in order to store gear under the cot and save space.

A word of advise all canvas tents should be set up the first time with loose roping and then made wet via rain or garden hose and they then should be allowed to dry and shrink tight around the stitching. I had set up the tent tight initially and when it rained and the tent dried and shrunk the ropes became extremely tight and the tent was put under a lot of stress. This can cause the stitching to pull the needle holes open and allow leaking.

I have had great luck with Canvas Cabins out of the Portland area. Their pole set is the best I have seen, light, but very strong. I use a 12x15 and its big enough for three people and still cook and eat. 4 people easy if you don't cook or need a table inside the tent.

This is the one I am looking at. If any one has any in put please feel free to chime in. This is however only for me and my son but I think it says it will sleep 4 and is a 4 season tent.
10X10 Canvas Outfitters, Hunters, Guide Tent , 4 Season - eBay (item 150315392677 end time Feb-08-09 09:29:47 PST)

This is just my opinion from years of using wall tents in the backcountry. A 10'X10' will not sleep 4 using cots. A 10'X10' is good for 2 fella's and a wood stove. I personally don't care to have a floor in a wall tent just storm flaps on the sides. If you are in and out of a lot especially during bad weather the snow and mud pile up then when warm it turns to water. Just doesn't work well. I have one similar to the one your looking at in ebay with no floor. The only complaint it won't carry much snow. Other than that it's a great horseback tent for two.

Thanks!
Right now it's just for me and my son, And he probably wont be with me as mush as I like. But you think(for the price) it would be OK for 2 or less? only being used once or twice a year, on elk hunt, and only lightly in Tennessee for normal camping in spring and summer?
JD

I think it would work great for two men. I like having the floor. Had a small tent like this one w/ the floor, now have a much bigger one w/o a floor. We put down a tarp and blankets for a floor now. Take your muddy boots off at the door. This a tent not a barn.:D

Steve

I did a TON of research before I bought my first wall tent. There are many different options from different manufactures. There are also many types of materials to choose from. I personaly prefer a Sunforger material for my tents, it's water and mildew resistent. In our guiding business we use tents from three different manufactures. We have a 14X16 from Davis Tents. It's constructed very well but has a few minor things I don't care for. One the door is a little too short for my liking. Two they use a fiberglass stove jack that will burn and unravel. Three the door does not come with weather flaps, though you can have them added for an additional charge. Four they use chain stitching on their seams, with chain stitching the entire seam can unravel if you pull the stitching, just like on a feed bag. Other then that they are very good tents. I also use a 15'X18' tent from Dave Ellis in Colorado, he's a great guy to work with and will make whatever changes you want. This is an excellent tent with one minor item , he doesn't completely roll his seams. I had him make it out of 12 oz Sunforger material. He uses a lock stitch on his seams. The door comes with a zipper and storm flaps inside and outside , he uses D-rings to tie them shut, but I had him add straps with quick release buckles to close the flaps. I also had him add a rear door, just in case a bear comes in the front door I can run out the back. He uses a silicone stove jack. The 15'X18' may seem large but we can sleep 6 guys with a stove comfortably or sleep 4 guys with a stove and still have room for all of our cooking equipment. My other tent is manufactured by Cylinder Stoves in Cedar City Utah. They used to have Dave Ellis make their tents but started building their own. It is a 12'X15' and will sleep two with a stove and cooking equipment comfortably. I believe this is the best manufactured tent I have. It comes standard with two doors and they completely roll their seams so you don't have any exposed edges to unravel and they are stitched with a lock stitch, and they use a silicone stove jack. They also use D-rings to tie their storm flaps inside and out, but I had them add the straps and buckles on mine. It's made from 10 oz Sunforger material. I had them install two windows for better ventilation. For frames I prefer an outside frame over a rafter frame kit. You can purchase them from the manufacture of your tent or like I do make your own for a lot less money using electrical conduit and top rail material. Like I said what ever tent you decide to use make sure it's made with Sunforger material. It's water and mildew resistant and it's a LOT stronger then canvas. I wouldn't own any tent made with canvas whether it's treated or not. Canvas tents have to be COMPLETELY dry before you put them away or they will mildew and rot in a very short time. With the Sunforger you can pack them home if they are wet and they won't mildew but you still have to dry them completely before you store them. I also prefer stoves made by Cylinder Stoves. They are made in different sizes to fit whatever size tent you have and are very heavy duty. Hope this helps.
tent-0895.jpg

Wes

Last edited:
Great post Wes. Those kind of details "like the stitching" are what make the tent or break the tent. No pun intended.

4 people, you have a couple options, a smaller tent 12x12 will work in a pinch. But you will have to set up for sleeping, then clean things up for cooking and day use. It is a pain. I have one - I know. With 2 people you can get by OK.

A 12x16 or 14x16 (or 20) would be very nice. If you are driving to your camp, go with the larger sized tent.

If you are packing it on a horse, you have other options. If you go with a large tent, one horse will be dedicated to the tent, and then you will have to add stock for the rest of your gear. You can get into a 4 horse pack string real quick just for gear and meat.

I have a 12x12, it is fine for my son and I. These days, I use it as a rec hall / gathering place up on the hill. It keeps the mud and dirt out of the camp trailer. The son and his buddies like to sleep when they come up hunting. I use the boys as my pack animals these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.