recomended palm polit/PDA's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by huntinfool18, Nov 17, 2007.

1. huntinfool18

huntinfool18 Well-Known Member

What palm polit does everyone use. is there one recomended for the nightforce program? thanks huntinfool18

2. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Gerald Perry, designer of Exbal (which to my understanding is what Nightforce uses) is very clear in reccomending the use of a Pocket PC based PDA and not a Palm based PDA. You can get 'em off ebay pretty cheap used. You don't need the newest 'rocket' to run Exbal. For what it's worth, I'm using a Dell Axim X30, but the options are nearly endless. Hope this helps. Email Gerald from his site--http://www.perry-systems.com/

3. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

PDA for Dummies could come in handy here.

Could you tell me what is the difference between the Axim x5, x30, x50 etc.? Would they all work just as well for Exbal?

4. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

I think the higher the number the faster and more sophisticated the device. I think Gerald told me he uses the X50. The glitch with using Dell Pocket PC's (PPC) is that appartently Dell and Microsoft has a bit of a spitting match some time ago and Dell doesn't make PPC's anymore. Mine were way out of warranty and Dell still helped me quite a bit initially getting mine set up, etc. Talk to Gerald, but I think any of those should run Exbal fine--although each has a different operating system, I believe. Should probably try to get the newest operating system (newest PPC) you can. I had a Palm (Palm OS has literally not been updated for years and is one reason Gerald didn't like them.) beforehand and I don't think I would go back to Palm after having the Pocket PC. Not very experienced with all this and no expert, just relating some of my experience. Hope it helps. Jon

5. Down Under Hunter

Down Under Hunter Well-Known Member

I just went on ebay and got a used 1910 HP pocket PC. Cost about $ 50 buck and I was off and racing. You don't need a fancy one . Spend your cash on your shooter. Just make sure you buy one with enough inbuilt memory, I think 32 meg ??

Cheers

DUH

6. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

On Monday February 7th, 2005, I received an email from Mr. Perry answering some of my questions and Here is a quote of what he answered about Axim PDA's

7. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

When I bought my pocket version of Exbal from Nightforce,I called Nightforce and they recomended the Dell Axim 30. So I purchased the 30......