Recomendations on .30 cal "premium bullets"

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by remshooter, Jan 31, 2006.

1. remshooter

remshooter Member

Recomendations on .30 cal \"premium bullets\"

I am asking for suggestions in regard to 30 cal "premium bullets". I have been shooting Sie 165 BTHP in 300 win mag and 150 Nos BT in 30.06. I am thinking about different loads for next fall and I don't want to buy several boxes of bullets. Considering Scirocco, Accubond, Interbond, SST, Barnes X. Any help would be appreciated.

2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Re: Recomendations on .30 cal \"premium bullets\"

Man, that is like asking, "what do you like better, blondes or redheads?

A: Whatever your gun likes is the answer. Every gun is different, so going to have to pick 1 or 2 to try and see if acceptable loads work up.

BH

3. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

I prefer blonds with polymer tips. Yes I said tips.

For no particular reason other than because. Barnes TSX for the mag and Accubonds for the 06.

4. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

GO try some accubonds or interbonds, all hold together nicely, or try some Wildcat bullets

for the record, I am a brunette fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

good luck
    steve

5. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

The SST will expand a lot quicker and shed alot of weight compared to the other bullets you mentioned, similar to the ballistic tip. Just something to think about.

6. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

MagMan ,
    I think you watched Weird Science a half dozen too many times. Other than barnes you are on the right track though.
    UB

7. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

Depends on how far away you intend to hit your game. Focus on impact velocity and bullet choices will become more obvious.

For walkabout hunting, I really like the SST and have used several types with excellent on game success. Just keep impact velocity between 2000 and 3000fps.

For LR hunting, I would lean towards the Amax.

Jerry

8. Centre Punch

Centre Punch Well-Known Member

BH,
    Finnish redheads from Lapua do it for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

9. kraky2

kraky2 Well-Known Member

One bullet I see getting praises over and over again is the 168tsx. It seems to be a pretty good shooter for alot of people. Also the northfork bonded is another that gets good praise for ALWAYS holding together nad being accurate.
    This fall I recovered a NF bonded from a moose. It was a 165 grain and I broke the onside shoulder at 100 yds with my 300wby and found the bullet lodged in the bone on the offside shoulder....it weighed 152 gr for a whopping 92% wt retention on one heck of a difficult shot....and it did look textbook mushroom like thier ad!!