Recoil Lug for Savage LRP

D Scott

Thanks in advance for any feedback, I am re barreling a Savage LRP 260 cal, with a Target action and Accutrigger on an H&S precision stock, typical factory set up.

Have a new Mcgowan precision barrel stainless 30 inch bull profile

My question I alot of folks putting on "competition " recoil lugs that are thicker and presumably better, but the stock one I have on there now measures .245- .248 thick, and mates up pretty tight with the stock and bedding.

Would it be worth the effort, or would there be any practical accuracy gains with a "custom" recoil lug , also the action is chrome moly and the new barrel is stainless, any issues with different metals?

Also , I will be reloading my own Ammo and was wondering what most do when setting the headspace using the go--no go gauges vs using a piece of sized brass. any thoughts ?

Thanks Scott

D Scott, is your recoil lug flat with nice edges or are the edges cupped? If it is cupped the rifle will shoot fine, but if you bed it, then it can be an issue going in and out of the stock. Normally Savage's recoil lugs are stamped and not machined. An after market lug is nice, Jim Briggs sells about the best finished one out there. I have a large shank model 12 repeater that came with a nice thick lug, but it's still a stamped one. I have a .223 1-8 twist on this action that is used for FTR mid-range, the lug does not hurt the accuracy of this rifle, if anything I do.:D As far as mating chromoly to stainless, we all do it, all the time. Just make sure when you put it together you use some sort of anti- seize on the threads and put a little on the face of the action. This will prevent galling. When it comes to headspacing the barrel you can do it either way, brass or gauges, BUT YOU NEED TO DO IT RIGHT. Not to scare you but this is as important as building a round of ammo. If you've done one before then disregard that statement, If you haven't and know someone that has, ask them to give you a hand. If I'm using brass I like to have a piece that has been shot in a sammi spec chamber, then I full lenght size it with .002 shoulder setback for a go gauge, then I put a piece of scotch tape that is between .002-.003 on the casehead and use as a no-go.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.