Recoil from a 300Mag?

I will answer this a couple of ways. It all depends on how you want to use the gun. If its hunting gun and you don't mind a moderate amount of recoil then I would say no break. If you are going to do a lot of shooting off the bench the breaks are really nice. I have a Rem 700 Sendero 300 win with a break - you can shoot it all day long. I also have a standard Rem 700 300 win - my max with that is about 20 rounds before I start thinking about wanting to shoot something else. It will also depend if you want to wear some type of ear protection when hunting. With the break it is pretty much a necesity.

kc

For me it it would depend on the weight of the gun. I have a Savage 112 BVSS that weighs in at 11.5 lbs all decked out. Other than a better recoil pad and trigger it is a factory gun, I can put 60 -70 rounds through it with no problem. Before I bought the 300 I had a very light Ruger in 30-06, I cringed every time I took the safety off on that thing, cuz I knew I was about to get hurt.

Chris

It also depends on how the rifle fits you.
I own 2 300wm chambered rifles.

My Weatherby sporter is a joy to shoot.
My Savage heavy barrel is a pain, for me.
It's the opposite for my son.

dk

Regardless of caliber if you going to put a scope on the gun, you will be well served to put a good brake on it. the reason is that any rifle center fire rifle will recoil enough to pull the cross hair off the aiming point unless you have it mounted in a really heavy target stock. Since this is a hunting forum I will assume you have the gun mounted in a stock that you can carry on a hunt. The addition of a muzzle brake will allow you to take the shot, see the bullet impact in the scope, make a correction if needed and take a follow up shot all with out taking your head off the gun and lossing sight of your game. compared your .300 winmag, my .308 is a pip-squeek in terms of power, and recoil and I run a well designed brake on it for the reason I expalned. So unless you have a full time spotter that will follow you accross hells half acre to spot your shots, put a good brake on your gun.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Sighting in and practicing is no fun for me with a unbraked 300, my friend the owner of the rifle will be sending his in right after our moose hunt.

Quick answer.... no....

I shoot a 300 WSM (Finnlight) which has almost as much kick as the WM. On the bench, I use a slip-on recoil pad and can shoot it all day long. Without the slip-on pad, the recoil starts getting to me at about 15 rounds. In the field, you wont feel it at all.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.