recoil differences ?

locotrician

Invisible
I know this is a question with a lot of variables but to eliminate most of them lets just say that both rounds are fired from an identical rifle, so my question is how much worse/more is the recoil produced from a .338 lapua round with a 215 grain bullet as compared to a .300 Dakota firing 190's or 210's. Thanks

In terms of pounds of energy transfered to the shooter their is likely not enough for you to tell , the recoil velocity may be faster with the 338 due to its bore to powder ration and the powders used to get the velocity , for arguements sake lets just say that they are loaded to close to the same speeds , the 300 RUM should be able to get 3300fps with the 200gr class bullets and the same for the lapua but the powders use will have differany pressure curves this will result in how fast the bullets reaches max pressure/velocity and that means recoil , the 338 Lapua will kick faster their for seeming to kick harder.

Their are alot of things that effect the way we feel recoil some guns that have excessive muzzle blast seem to kick harder than theu realy do , the stock shape also has alot to do with it , I never realy understood how much the stock plays the part until a fella with matching over and under 12gas let me shoot them ,one was right handed and one way left handed and both were custom made for the owners shooting the left handed gun seemed to kick WAY harder due to the gun having "cast on" but the right handed gun being shot right handed was pleasent to shoot with its cast off. this is whay alot of guys say that the old Winchesters kicked so bad cause most of them had strait stock instead for cast off for the shooter.

Just for grins I ran this through Load from a Disk just to see what came out.
The results were that the Lapua had a recoil energy of 36 ft/lbs and recoil velocity of 15 f/s. The Dakota, with a 210g bullet, had recoil energy of 27 ft/lbs and velocity of 13 f/s.
All inline with what James Jones had to say. An interesting exercise.

Well thanks for the responses ...very helpful...im trying to decide wether its worth going with the lapua over the dakota

You are comparing very light bullets in .338 to the opposite in .308. If you up the bullet weight in the Lapua the recoil will climb also.

yes i am new to this site but i do know that i am comparing light bullets in one and heavier bullets in the other and theres no reason i cant shoot "light" bullets out of the .338

Don't get defensive, I was just trying to help since you picked higher BC bullets for the 30 cal and low for the 338.

For long range they will not work as well, BC is very low in a 210 grain bullet compared to upper 200s or 300 grainer. A 210 grain Partition in 338 has a BC of .4 A 300 grain bullet has a BC of .768 at higher speeds. Almost twice the BC, better for shooting long distance. Sorry for coming off rudely if I did.

If those are the two rounds your having the issues of choosing between then lets step back and look at some other reasons to choose one over the other.

Brass quality ,

338 Lapua , the most consistant and strongest brass available , 100 pieces with likely last the life time of the gun , and at $2 a wack I hope so , only two known makers and a few factory loaded round to choose from.

300 Dakota , pretty consistant brass , about $1.50 a case and only Dakota makes it , its kinda soft like that from Norma so its not gonna last much more that 8-10 firings I would think.

Balisticaly the 338 will win likely with both light and heavy bullet as the light bull;ets can be driven very fast , like the 200gr Ballistic tip driven to 3300+fps , talk about making a mess of a deer !! yet you can load it down to shoot in the 338 win range if your shooting deer under 400yds or you can loaded it up with the 300 gr SMK and make a good 1000yd elk rifle , can't say that about the 300 Dakota.

Me personaly I'd go with the Lapua

I apologize for coming off as defensive...i do appreciate your help.

dakota does not make the brass for the dakota chamberings.....a company called MASS makes their brass and also im told that there was recently a record shot with a .300 dakota using lapua brass that isnt available for public purchase as of yet but is is coming in the next year or so ....i am unable to prove this as it is hearsay but from a reputable source so i think there will be good brass available for the dakota soon...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.