Recoil - 300 Ultra vs 338 Ultra

Ditto, That is what I have on my 340, shot it no brake for 10 yrs. Good recoil pad, my Dad bought me a simms shirt for x-mas that has a 1/4 " pad built into shoulder, have not tried it yet, but probably helps

Get the Muscle brake installed and just leave it on there. I have one on my 338 Ultra mag and it kicks less than my 308 now. It is fun to shoot less than 3/4 inch groups at 300 yds. You don't have to worry about getting pounded at tha range.
Tarey

DSCN1877.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

I shot a 12 inch pull, 8# 338 Win Mag with a full load of powder behind a 250 class bullet. First shot, from bench, hurt. Second shot from the bench resulted in tears in eyes and a quite lengthy one armed flapping rain dance.

Roy, I just saw this post. I aquired three rifles over the years because the owners did not want them anymore. 458 win mag with 26 inch bull barrel, 416 rem with 26 inch bull barrel, .458 American. All of these are 4000 - 5000 pounds of energy rounds. I can only bench rest shoot one of these about 20 times and I'm done. But what it did teach me as a young man when i was handed the 458 win and a couple hundred load 510 grain solids and rounded soft points is that everything else seems like a plinking gun.

I'm 5'10" and 172 pounds.

I had a buddy years ago that got the scope ring eye brow first time out with his 300 Weatherby. So he was afraid of it. So i took him out shooting in the hills and I popped off the 458 a few times with instruction on the firm planted edge of the shoulder hold with sling tripod type hold with your left arm. He shot the 458 about 5 times and to this day 20 some years later he doesn't even flinch with the little 300 Weatherby shooting 220 grain. He enjoys it. :)

I've shot allot of animals over the years with my big guns.

I see this thread has come back to life :)

I'm still wanting to this, only I've decided to go with a 338 Imp LM probaby on a Mark V action. Not sure when as I have a couple of other irons in the fire. I'm going to shoot it without a brake first, then have one installed if I need it. I'm hoping maybe next year.

None of my biggest have brakes. My first rifle with a brake was a 30-378 28 inch barrel. I had a love hate relationship with it. The biggest minus :( was when you pull the trigger and light off 115 grains of Retumbo the brakes rear directed muzzle blast is so deafening that you had to use the best shooting head phones available.

So the hate was, I don't walk around in the mountains with head phones on. I already carry enough stuff. Big heavy gun with bi-pod and 6-24X 56 mm mildot scope, laser range finder.

Now a single purpose bench gun......... A brake is the only way to go. I'm thinking about a brake on my little 243. It is so nice to not even move off the target when you pull the trigger. I'm into P-dog shooting and paper

Budlight, The biggest benifit of the Muscle brake is the first port is straight and it sends the blast to both sides of you and NOT back towards the shooter. You only have to shoot it one time to realize how comfortable it is.
Tarey

I have a 300 rum with a brake and shooting 180's @ 3300 it has very little recoil. My 338 rum on the other hand, has about twice the felt recoil shooting 225's @ 3200. I am wondering if installing a different brake on my 338 would help. My current brake has about 3/16 diameter holes with 3 holes in one row and two in the next. My 300 break has slightly smaller holes, but has 4 holes in one row and 3 in the next. I just replaced the stock on my 338 rum to reduce some carry weight, and I like the new bell and carlson alaskan full length pillar bedded stock, but the recoil is worse, the stock came with a pachmeyer recoil pad and it is no where near as effective as the the limbsaver pad I had on my laminate stock.

So my question is what would be the best way to tame some more recoil out of my gun, new brake or could I modify my current brake by making the holes (ports ) a little over sized? I am noticing since changing the stock, that if I have a ball cap on while shooting, the scope is now kissing the bill of the hat and it didn't use to.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.