Recoil - 300 Ultra vs 338 Ultra

I am toying with the idea of getting a 338 RUM or rebarreling my 300 RUM when it burns out. My only hesitation is recoil and I dont like brakes. This would be a carry rifle and although I do put ear plugs in when I have the time in the field, I dont always have that time. I like the idea of a 338 because it would be a better elk killer and the barrel life would be better.

Presently, I normally use a slip-on recoil pad for load work and practice and it makes shooting the 300 very tolerable.

Does anyone have experience shooting both without a brake and if so what is your opinion on the difference in recoil.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark
I prefer a rifle without a break also even though I have some with breaks they are mostly
for shooting prone when you have enough time to use ear plugs.

I would recomend that you go to a slightly larger barrel (One pound more can make the 338
feel like the 300 RUM with soft loads.

I have a 300 with a #5 contour and a 338 RUM with a # 7 and the 300 kicks harder (Both
have the same kind of stock).

Fortunately I am not recoil shy and able to shoot my 416 without a break 40 or 50 times,
but that's about it for me ,Anything over 85 to 90 ft/lbs of recoil louses it's fun.

J E CUSTOM

I shoot a 300rum unbreaked (9.5lb rifle)and after about 10-15 rounds it's not fun...not painful but, just not fun. 80-90 lbs don't know what that feels like...I guess like 2x the rum recoil...I'm thinking for me...now that might be painful.

I noticed in the original post, that you mentioned using ear plugs. I tried that, but you don't always have time to put them in, in the field. This past year, I tried something different. I have a set of Howard Leight Sport Impact hearing protectors with the mics. I used them on a deer hunt. I could hear squirrels in the leaves at 75-100yds, and I got a chance to pop a deer. I was only using a .308, but with a short barrelled Mod 7, it generates a decent muzzle blast. With the protectors, I heard a little noise, but my ears didn't ring after the shot. It worked great, as the mics are very directional, when you hear something and look where you hear it, the origin of the sound you look at, is right there in front of you. It is almost like you don't have them on at all.

They are a slim profile design, I have no interference from the stock, shooting either right or left handed, as you might have to, in the field. I also trap and skeet shoot with them, and have no problems shooting from a down position gun.
Another benny, is they will keep your ears warm. I have used mine all season, running them all day, from daylight to dark, only a short break at lunchtime, and am still on the first set of batteries. I hunted them about 20 days total, like that.

Pretty good review of the Howard protectors...I'll have to look them up. So far I've been looking at a set of Peltor-Kinda pricey.

I shoot an unbraked .300 RUM. I would have no problems taking it to the prarie dog fields. It just does not bother me. A lightweight .338 Win Mag is a lot worse.

.300 RUM

220gr Partition @ 3012 (per Nosler Manual) in a 10lb rifle gives 38.65 ft/lbs of recoil.

.338 RUM

225gr Partition @ 3227 in a 10lb rifle gives 44.63ft/lbs of recoil.

I got a second set for my dad from Amazon. Got them for $49 and change, with free shipping. Best price I found on the net at that time. May be different now, after the holiday specials.

Tang, you mentioned 338rum-225gr Partition @ 3227 in a 10lb rifle gives 44.63ft/lbs of recoil.

It only gets worse w/300 smk.

I have a Remington XCR in .338 RUM. Tupperware srock (bedded and all that JAzz). It has a slip on decelerator pad and a brake. I can shoot it all day long and it is a light rifle. I found that the main issue for me was the length of pull. When I put on the slip on pad it gave me an extra 1". Made it more comfortable on top of reduced recoil, but when I shot it with my hiking pack on it was uncomfortable again. the extra 5/8" of the pack strap made it hard to handle the rifle's recoil. I find if a rifle is too short for me even in a 300 win it isnt as comfortable as a properly fitted .458 win. just my 2 cents.

Angus-5024-good point on stock fit. Both accuracy and felt recoil can be affected by proper stock fit. A good custom stockmaker should take this into consideration when building a custom stock for a particular individual.

Thanks for the replys guys. Roy, you did a good job giving me a visual of doing the one armed flapping rain dance :)

You guys have done a good job on convincing me to use a brake, and who knows maybe I will. But I'll porbably try it without first. the recoil calc says the 300 will give me about 31 ftlbs vs 41 ftlb for the 338. This is just a pipe dream ATM and I'm thinking of making it a switch barrel on one of my Sendero frames. I could use the same Redding bushing die as the 300 and have another cal for the price of the barrel and smithing.

Thanks again for the help,

Mark

It doesn't have to be one way or the other. Have a brake fitted to your barrel and get a screw on cap made as well, that way you can do your bench and set up shooting in the field with the brake. If you are only using it as a carry rifle in the field you can remove the brake and screw on the cap and use it without the brake.

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.