recoil...30 cals

speeders

First post on here. Curious to if anyone has compared or shot a 300 wsm, 300 win mag and a 300 ultra mag. Looking to shoot a 168 gr silverbullistic tip. Planning on using it for deer and elk. Sold my win model 70 (sporter)in .338 due to the beating it left on my shoulder. Curious as to the comparison of recoil of the 3 calibers. Most likely will be a sako, tikka or remington model 700 around 7lbs. Thanks...any insight is appreciated.

A 7 lb 300 Win will thump you. A 7 lb 300 RUM will really thump you--use lots of padding while practicing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . Some say the WSM kicks noticably less than the Win but I haven't compared.

Alta

Here are the results of the calculations. I assumed that a scope and mounts added (edited: one and )one-half pound to your 7 pound bare rifle weight.

WSM 28 ft-lbs
WM 34 ft-lbs
UM 47 ft-lbs

I have a 300 RUM remington sendero. The weight of this rifle and scope has alot to do with it. However, the powder I think makes the most diffrence. I say this because when I squeeze off a round it seems to take forever for the recoil to stop. It hits harder than my cousins 300 wim mag but it is spread out over a longer time, therefore it actually feels "nicer" think more of a shove than a punch or jab. If I was going to have to shoot all day and had a choice Bruno sporter 30-06, Ruger MKII 300Wim Mag, 300 RUM Sendero, I am taking the RUM all the way. I have not shot a sporter 300 UM so I have no idea. Clear as mud?

Think about a brake. You trade recoil for noise and put the pounding on the critter not your shoulder. I only shoot a 7mm Mag and still have to eat tylenol to get to sleep after a long session with it. I could have got a brake for the cost of the tylenol. Of course, my shoulder is 57 years old and has seen some other abuse and my hearing was gone by the time I was 25 so I dont have much to lose there. Just mention it as a different solution to your decision.

I personnaly like the 300 rum the most because of its tremendous long range ability and sheer power. But if you are going to shot a 168gr bullet I would tell you to go with the wsm or win. Both these would have a longer barrel life than the rum and kick less in the same weight rifle. The rum is really good with the bullets it is intended to shoot, like 180 grains and above. If you do get the rum I wold recommend you try richard graves's 190gr wildcat heavy jacket bullet, I think it will be great.

Thanks
Steve Elmenhorst

With all due respect, I'd rather just want a gun than to be forced to shoot a .300 ultra mag. The 2 happiest days in a mans life is when he buys one and when he sells it.

[ QUOTE ]
First post on here. Curious to if anyone has compared or shot a 300 wsm, 300 win mag and a 300 ultra mag. Looking to shoot a 168 gr silverbullistic tip. Planning on using it for deer and elk. Sold my win model 70 (sporter)in .338 due to the beating it left on my shoulder. Curious as to the comparison of recoil of the 3 calibers. Most likely will be a sako, tikka or remington model 700 around 7lbs. Thanks...any insight is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am currently shooting a Rem 700P Which is alot like the sendero in wieght in 300RUM, and my cousin has the same rifle in 300 Win. With those heavier rifles recoil isn't much of a problem considering that my Rem 700BDL in 270 Win seems to recoil harder with my reloads. However I am still planning on a break and either a dead mule or a hydrolic recoil reducer, mainly to see the felt difference when at the bench for a couple of hours at least twice a month.

I haven't had any experience with the wsm, but a buddy of mine ordered one yesterday and in a couple of weeks I will.

Thanks for the info. Overall gun weight Im guessing will be around 8 1/2 lbs with a scope. I think Im going to go with a 300 min wag. I would love to get it in a rem sendaro but I have one in a 25-06 I use for deer hunting. Awesome for long range shots if you have tme to set up. Not so great for packing in the rockies. Anyways thanks again for the info.

Alta Hunter,

I strongly agree with Rev on this one. It matters a lot what powder is used. I've noticed that the faster burn rate powders, in the same rifle has a quicker recoil (read more hurtful) than the slower burn rate powders. That's just been my experience.

For example: In my .300 WM two charges are most accurate with the 200 grain MK bullet. When using 70 grains of RE-19, I feel the recoil more than when using my alternate load of 74 grains of IMR 7828. Both loads give me just over 2800 FPS, but the RE-19 load is just a bit more accurate.

However, I generally shoot more IMR 7828 due to the decreased recoil effect. The slower powder seems to push me not jab me.

In my experience, the 300 RUM in two like and comparable weapons (ie 2 Mod700 LSS's), kicks a hell of a lot more than the 300 WM does. While the 300 WSM IMHO is about like the 300 WM when using the same 180 grain bullets.

Hope this helps.

CG

just finished building a LR 300 RUM this week,Sav.116 FSS,Bell and Carlson stock,Ken Farrell Steel G-Force Mount and rings with a 4.5x14 Mark 4 Leupold....See the pic of the Brake I had put on....It kicks like a pussycat..alot less than my heavy Brl. 7mag.....and shoots 1/2 in. groups with 2 different bullet weights @ 100 yds....I like it!!!

Dave

brake2.jpg

I have a 300 Win Mag with a 25" barrel and the 165gr or 168gr bullet travels at 3250 fps and recoil is 28 Ft Lbs witch is just a little more than a 30/06 with that bullet.

I have a 300 WSM model 70 Laredo stock, 26 inch Lothar Walther barrel, muzzle dia is 1 in and a break. The recoil pad fell off the stock and I still shoot it. I need to wear a bdu top because of the lack of cussioning and rather sharp edges on the stock but the recoil doesnt bother me. I shoot the 168 and 190 Berger's out of it and they are running around 3k for the 168 and 2800 or so for the 190's.
The rifle sports a Night Force NXS 8-32 so it has added some weight to it too. The action isnt bedded yet and I shoot sometimes with a bi-pod.
All in all its a very fun gun to shoot and very enjoyable at the range when shooting 50 rounds or so. I noticed no shoulder soreness either.
The 300 rum when punching heavier bullets at 3k and above youll get a whoopin on your shoulder. A break and limb saver recoil pad and youll be doing fine, maybe not 50 rounds but easily 20 to 30 before flinching and shoulder soreness set it.
I once shot a sporter weight plastic stocked rem 700 in 300 wby. 180 grain ballistic tips and just a tad under a hot load, 3 shots is all I cared to take I have never been slapped so hard by any other rifle as that one. I simply refuse to shoot it anymore and it has been sighted in for 3 years now on my original sight in (buddy had neck surgery and couldnt/didnt want to sight it in, what a buddy I am lol).
JM2C
Dave

Now that everybody has added their impout on the recoil with differant bullet weights and powders I'll throw in my 2 cents about how much the stock shape aids in handeling the recoil.
generaly a synthetic stocked gun will kick a little harder than a "good" wood because its a little lighter and they don't have much cast off to them if any at all. The cast of a stock makes a huge differance in how your body takes the recoil. I have a 7.5lb Winchester Feather weight in 30-06 that is simply un-pleasant to shoot with 150gr bullet at 2900fps which is a mild load this stock is wood but it actualy has some ""cast ON"" to it , Standing off hand with a t-shirt on 5 rounds is just about all anybody wants of it.
Yet I have a 1961 German made Wby MarkV in 300Wby mag that tips the scales at just under 8lbs that is a sweethart to shoot , even with 180gr bullets launched at 3100+fps , but this stock is well made and has a good cast off and the comb has a good forward rake.You can tell that the gun is moving you more 6 than the Win 30-06 but it doesen't hurt nearly as bad.
I know what everbody is gonna say well the powders in those two cases are differan't well NO they arn't both guns are shooting H4831sc from the same lot !! So I'm not saying that the big Wby kicks less because is Physicly immposible the math just won't let it happen , but what I'm saying is that one gives you the recoil differantly.
Check out Boyd's gun stocks , their Montery style stock is very nice and is well desgined.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.