Recoil????? 30/06 vs 45/70

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hillbilly, Jul 20, 2006.

1. hillbilly

hillbilly Member

I have a 12 inch 45/70 with no break. The recoil is noticeable,to say the least. I have been considering
    a 30/06 in a similar length. How would these compare
    in recoil? Any opinion welcome and appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Are you having problems with unburned powder? I had a 14" 45/70 barrel and with IMR 3031 there were granules of unburned powder in the barrel after each shot. No telling how much was blowing out the barrel. I worked briefly with IMR 4227 with better velocity, but trashed my Leupold dual dovetail mount in the process and later sold the barrel.
    I think you would get similar if not better velocity in a 12" barrel with the .454 Casull with less powder and greater efficiency, or even more fun the .500 S&W for even better numbers yet.
    I have not shot the 30-06 in a pistol, but I suspect that you would not beat the 308 by much with alot more recoil. I would also go with the 15" barrel with a brake.

3. hillbilly

hillbilly Member

Sambo3006,

I do not have any problem with powder burn. I wish I could ID the powder, but I have only used factory rounds, so far. I do reload just not 45/70, although I will SOON. I was surprised myself at the lack of muzzle flash. It is there, just is not grand. I plan to buy a chronograph as well. I would like to compare the 454 and 45/70 for myself.

Thankyou for your time and thoughts.