rechambering the 338 rum...

JOSE A. MARINE

is it posible to change from a 338 rum to 338 edge?

I read somewhere that the 338 rum was shorter?

to start with the long range practice, I would like to buy and E.R. Shaw barrel from brownells @ 116.80+s&h and rechamber it to 338 edge.

then I could move easily to a more expensive barrel.

please advise.

Joe

Not speaking from experience with the 338 RUM, but I'd leave it as is.
I've still yet to see any vast improvement the 338 Edge offers over the 338 RUM:confused:
The 338 Edge offers slightly more case capacity, but this round doesn't need to be pushed in order to use that extra capacity.

thanks, gamedog.

I already have my 338 edge reamer, and wanted to know if it was worth the trouble, and since I already have 300 rum brass... maybe I should start with a new barrel in 338 edge. just wondering if I could save a little.. but guess not...

thanks again.

Joe

Joe,
While the .338 Edge gets alot of recognition here it really isn't that much of an improvement over the .338 RUM. Your only going to gain approx 50 - 100 fps. Now you'll have the added cost of custom dies and added brass prep, but since you already purchased the reamer and have some .300 RUM brass on hand you might as well chamber it for the Edge. The ER Shaw barrels are more of a low economy grade barrel, that's why they're only about $100. Save your money and put a good Kreiger, Brought, Hart or other top name barrel on, you'll be glad you did in the end. Buy the best components you can afford and you'll never be sorry. Good luck with your project.

I too agree, the .338 ultra mag, is fine as is, but if you have your heart set on the other, then make sure you do it will a 30'' barrel to reap the rewards of the extra it has, other wise you are spliting hairs on caliber, for a lot more work to make ammo!! and buy one good barrel, its cheaper in the long run, them lower cost barrels will wear out at high vel. that that caliber will be doing!!
Have you ever look at the .338 hart caliber, shot a few and seen them in action, from

Robert W. Hart and Son Inc.
he has several hotter ultra mag copies( 7mm-300-and .338) been around for many years, and work very well, I have a 30 Hart, my self, as well as a remington .388 untra mag! but see no need to up grade to the hart, but if I was starting from scratch, I would think hard about it, but I like to be able to buy factory ammo, in a pinch!!, if it was me, I'd tell you to stick to the rem, but your money!, your call!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.