rechambering questions

cowboy717

I was curious if there would be any problems with rechambering a 25-06 barrel to say 257 STW or 257 wby mag improved. Or a 270 win to 270 wby mag improved. Wanting to do something a little different and kind of on a budget. I already have a mag action and found a couple heavy barrels. Just want a screamer for yotes n varmints. Thanks!

There shouldn't be any problems.Since you have a magnum action,bolt face and feeding won't be an issue.

You have the action covered, I have not looked at the prints but off the top of my head would figure the old chambers would be cleaned up by the new. You can check the dimensions here for yourself and know for sure.

page8d

I was pretty sure that they would clean up the old chambers but I wasn't positive. But I didn't think bout borescoping but will do that. Don't want to put money into a burned out barrel. I'd like yo be the one burnin the thing up haha thanks guys

I would worry more about the bore being rust pitted than anything else. Most people never shoot enough to hurt them. I have some really accurate guns built with shot out factory barrels. They were probably shot enough to take the tool marks out.

When factory barrels are shot enough 'to take the tool marks out' they're usually worn so badly they're ready for the scrap box. Bore scoping tells the story, no guesses. I'd be concerned about fire cracking in a 25/06 bbl. Most have a misconception about throat wear. It goes forward far enough re-chambering won't clean it all up, just extends life a bit. Got to be a 'young' barrel to justify re-chambering, IMHO. And then, what do you have? A re-chambered factory barrel. I'd save and buy a good one before being disappointed with a used, factory barrel. Again, just my 2 cents

As bad as some of the tool marks are in some rem barrels, you might be correct most of the time, but I have seen at two notable exceptions.

a .257 anything will be a nice coyote rig, but will get real old on a P.D. town. I shoot a 6/250AI, and I'm not all that sure I'd want to make a hundred shots over a bunch of P.D.'s. I have a new barrel being built in 6mmBG right now, and I doubt there will be much percieved difference in recoil when compaired to the .243 or the 6/250AI. But a 6XC might be the ticket for you. The recoil should be lower, and you can even buy ready cases, or form your own from 22-250 or better yet .243 brass. An 80 grain bullet will drop a 35lb. coyote in his tracks, and you can still shoot quite a few rounds over a dog town. Redding sells dies (think Forster does as well)
gary

Rather than rechamber a factory barrel, buy a new quality barrel. You'll be pleased that you did.

Choose the cartridge, the desired bullet, and then make sure the barrel is designed with the right length, weight, and twist for your bullet and application.

I like my 25-06. But, 25 cal is arguably one of the most limited bullet selections for long range.

Wby brass is over-priced.

Depending on the rifle weight and whether you'll use a brake, I'd choose from 6, 6.5, and 7mm cartridges. There are plenty of good ones available in factory ammo as well as a plethora of wildcats.

--richard

Yea I think I'm going to scratch that idea. I just looked at brass costs and was shocked to say the least! Plus the 25-06 barrel I was going to use looks like about the first 2 inches or so is completely gone! Sure glad it was free. Guessing I'm back to the drawing board and the mag action in the safe for now. maybe a new hunting rig custom is in order. 264 WM or something of that nature.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.