rechamber a 270WSM to 7mm WSM

From Hornady's loading manual 8th addition.

270wsm 100gr max vel 3100FPS.

7mm wsm150gr Max vel 3000fps.

Yes it does give a slight edge to the 7WSM bullet to bullet, but then, the .270 will never push the same max weight bullets as the 7mm's period.

Correction to the above, probably a typo...Hogden reloading manual has max vel of both the 270wsm and 7wsm pusing a 150 out at max 2900+ - 3000+.

(The Sierra 110gr from a standard 270 Win (22" barrel) goes about 3140 fps in a load I use.

7mm is appealing to me because of availability of heavier bullets with high BC out to 1000 if I want to try that and for effectiveness on elk sized game. Agreed, 7mm has heavier max weight bullets.

Having said that, either caliber will likely work for me.

Duck........Nuthin personal I just like throwing dead sqirrels:D

IStop reading and srart shooting, not to be mean but your gonna find out relitivly quick that sporter weight V2 is tricky to shoot longrange with........

This brings up a good question...Weight of gun vs. the caliber? By "tricky to shoot", I assume you mean dealing with the increased felt recoil with a lighter gun than a heaver one. If the gun is accurate, the weight shouldn't matter.

Weight will matter. I know because i thought the same thing. Now i wish my gun was heavier.

When i make a purchase i pick caliber, then gun. If i was in your shoes i would look at win M70 in the extreme weather or coyote lite.

This brings up a good question...Weight of gun vs. the caliber? By "tricky to shoot", I assume you mean dealing with the increased felt recoil with a lighter gun than a heaver one. If the gun is accurate, the weight shouldn't matter.

Recoil and muzzle blast are just part of a light gun, a light gun is also a lot less forgiving on form......specialy in field conditions. A light gun may shoot 1" groups @ 100 but that does not mean its going to shoot 6" groups @ 600. Even if you are just shooting one shot @ a time, how you hold the gun and what it does @ the trigger brake makes all the difference=weight helps litigate small differences

No, the V2 does not come in 7mm WSM, but does come in 7mm RM. Looking at Tika, Browning and others' lines, in fact most omit 7mm WSM but do offer 270WSM & 300WSM. It will be interesting to see if this changes over time.

Sorry when I said 7mag I was indead refering to the 7 Remington mag=The 7RM and 7WSM are so simaler in performance that the only reason the 7WSM even has a chance at servival is the fact that its beltless and fits in a short action?????unless loaded long for vlds?

Correction to the above, probably a typo...Hogden reloading manual has max vel of both the 270wsm and 7wsm pusing a 150 out at max 2900+ - 3000+.

(The Sierra 110gr from a standard 270 Win (22" barrel) goes about 3140 fps in a load I use.

7mm is appealing to me because of availability of heavier bullets with high BC out to 1000 if I want to try that and for effectiveness on elk sized game. Agreed, 7mm has heavier max weight bullets.

Having said that, either caliber will likely work for me.
They both work great for a lot of people. You just have a better selection of Higher BC bullets for the 7mm. That's really my only point.

Weight will matter. I know because i thought the same thing. Now i wish my gun was heavier.

When i make a purchase i pick caliber, then gun. If i was in your shoes i would look at win M70 in the extreme weather or coyote lite.
If I were to buy any short action especially in the Short Action Magnums that's the way I would go.

The Coyote Outback Model really appeals to me as well. One thing I can say for sure is that for out of the box accuracy my Model 70's have always been outstanding and I've never had a problem with functionality at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.