Recent Denver area trip!

Savagebien

I went to Denver for the first time this past weekend to visit the school i will b attending in january, the Colorado School of Trades, for gunsmithing. The school is very exciting i loved the tour and i can't wait to start. The school is in Lakewood, which is where i'll b living, only a few blocks from school. I wont b far from denver's downtown or the mountains! I love it! I've got to figure out how to get to the national forest and everything also. Do you guys in that area just shoot in the national forest? I was looking at the roadless area map on the CO division of wildlife website, are those the places to hunt and just set up and shoot far? I'm also excited to shoot some prarie dogs, doesnt look like there is any shortage of them :D gun)

Last edited:
I think you'll have to check regs for individual areas to see if shooting is allowed. I know there are areas where you can't shoot. I've just used some public ranges in the Springs area and shoot out on a ranchers land I have permission to hunt pdogs on. Being from MO myself I know you'll have a blast shooting longer ranges.

You will be mostly disappointed with the public shooting areas. Most are no more than dumps and aren't maintained by the state very well. Most likely you'll be in for a fair bit of driving to get to one.

You can shoot pdogs all year long out here on private land. This is my first year shooting them and I've had way too much fun.

You can't shoot in the nation forest unless it's during a season and you have a tag. There are quite a few good ranges around. CRC Colorado Rifle Club has a great range with 1000yd enclosed pits. It's about an hour east of lakewood but a nice range. If you want to go out get a hold of me when your finally out here

thanks lazylabs, i will probably take you up on it. is there anywhere that you guys in CO go to just shoot informally with your own steel targets or anything? thats kinda what i had in mind.

You can't shoot in the nation forest unless it's during a season and you have a tag. There are quite a few good ranges around. CRC Colorado Rifle Club has a great range with 1000yd enclosed pits. It's about an hour east of lakewood but a nice range. If you want to go out get a hold of me when your finally out here

sorry but this is not true. While there are some places that have been closed to shooting in NF, you can shoot anywhere is safe with a few minor rules about not shooting within 150yrds of a campground, across roads or trails, or at live trees etc.

I live in Golden about 5 miles from the colorado school of trades and have only made one trip to the crc range...I prefer the forest. However the CRC is a nice facility, so you may prefer shooting there!

taken for the US forest service website
"Target Shooting Regulations

Hunters must have the appropriate license issued by the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

The Code of Federal Regulations (title 36) states that discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury or damaging property is prohibited:

* In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area; or
* Across or on a Forest Development Road or adjacent body of water; or
* In any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.

In other words, shooters must be at least 150 yards away from campgrounds, trailheads or any area already being used by other recreationists. This gives shooters a safety margin and prevents conflicts with other forest users. Do not damage property, including trees, telephone poles or signs. Any violations will result in a fine and/or court appearance."

Hey SavageBien,

I am a Denver area resident, and I graduated from the School of Trades a few years back. You can shoot in most NF here in Colorado some are closed to shooting but not most. Again check area regulations. At the school there is the gun club, that goes and shoots once a month, you will have the option of joining. You will have ample opportunites to shoot and even hunt if you keep your nose to the grind with your studies. It is great you will love it. Where are you planning on staying, hopefully not the Willows. I would defiently check out the place you plan on staying. If it is one that is reccomened by the school i would avoid it. Not that they are bad place, just most are not really welcome at the places the school reccomends by far the biggest reason is accidental discharges. I guarantee that at least 1 time while you are at the school Gary Schlomer will have a meeting to tell you about an idiot student having an accidental discharge at his apartment. If you need some reasearch done on the place you are staying let me know and I will give you the real facts on it.

hey mixerdriverm, thanks for all the info. im not staying at the willows, looked, it was kinda pricey. then sonny recommended a place a few blocks from school called westland tower apartments, gonna b living there, good price, close to school, i liked it well enough. im very excited about school and living in CO. gonna have to get a part time job too. im so excited about everything in colorado rly, hunting, shooting, hiking, etc!!! cant wait!!! only a little over a month till i move!

What kind of work you do? I own my own company, I need laborers from time to time. I may be able to use you sometimes, I pay pretty good. However it is not gun related. Kinda hard to find gun work as a newbie, once you get to D&F if you get lucky you can find some places to give you a job cleaning guns and stuff. I did quiet a bit of work for a guy named Ash Johnson, hw works gunshows and stuff and need help quiet a bit of the time. He used to pay me 100.00 for a day working the gun show for him, selling bullets and stuff. He like rifles as well I have built hima few rifles and he pays for that as well of course you have to get to D&F for that, but if you hook up with him early on it could turn into a pretty nice chunk of change for ya. Talk to John Stewart about Ash Johnson. Beware John Stewart hates newbies, you will think he is an *** but he is really cool once you get to know him. Well, I guess he really dont hate them but so many of them "think" they know what they are doing and most dont. Where your staying is a pretty rough part of town, I would reccomend some type of safesw for your guns if you are bringing any.

Thanks for the advice and info. I may try to work for you some when i'm there, not afraid of physical labor. I didn't think that i would rly be able to find a job working with guns too easily, but thats ok.

I was thinking about attending this school but I had a few questions if you don't mind answering.

How was the experience?
What are the schedules?
And just tell me a little bit about it and how you are using it today.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts