Rebore ??

macv

Hi, have any of you shooters ever had a shot out brl. rebored and re chambered for another cal. Is it even worth the cost or time. I guess the Sinclair SS brl. that I have could always be used for a pretty good pry bar. Any comments?

Don't recommend it,because of stress relieving occurring which may leave the barrel less than true when finished.
It's a lot of work to 'straighten' a barrel and have it 'normalised' after all the machining required to do this.
Cryogenics has been touted to fix this,but I am skeptical on this subject.
Only my opinion.
MagnumManiac
gun)

Macv

Barrel makers are getting better at making premium SS barrels
and the cost of rebore would be as much or more than a new
barrel .

A barrel blank cost the barrel makers about $35,00 so the cost
of shiping and the setup for the barrel maker would exceed the
cost of the blank and with the stresses in the old barrel I just
would'nt recommend it. Plus the barrel maker probably woult'nt
guaranty the work even if it was one of his barrels.

And if you get a new barrel you dont have to change calibre or
cartrige unless you want to.

Take off Barrels also make good muzzel brake material.

J E CUSTOM

Hi, thanks guys for your input. All that you mentioned sounds like a lot of common sense. I always wondered about that ques. that I asked, and now I know. Thanks again.

The cost of chambering runs about $150 - $225, whether new or used barrel. IF your old barrel is not completely shot out, a re chamber can add maybe another 600 - 800 rounds till accuracy begins to tail off. Had a 6ppc rechambered last year and the smith said this can be done if round count is less than about 1500 and the bore is not fire cracked. (That barrel is shooting super since).

But, of course, starting with a brand new barrel is the best choice.

Brl. gone

Hi, Guess I'll just forget about any work to this brl. as it is shot out. Matbe one day I will find some kind of use for it as I find it hard to throw anything away. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.