Rebarreling my 7mmrem mag to .300 win mag?

I have been approached on this a lot by several people wanting more power. I simply hand them all the manufactures sectional density's and ballistic coefficients. Let them search the true velocities that the 7mm and the 300 mags can truly be loaded to. Work the math or have them use the Hornady ballistic computer and see if they really want a 300 whiz bang over a 7mm mag. I was in a sports show in Salt Lake City a few years ago and a well respected rifle and ammo manufacture was there touting there product. They had a graph of the 30-378 loaded to the hilt with a high BC bullet vs the 7mm rem mag loaded with the same manufactures bullet(BERGER). The little 7mm mag had more at longer ranges than the big boomer. Imagine what a 7mmrum could do with a 28 to 32 in barrel with the new heavy 175 gr lrab, 180 Berger or the new 195 gr Berger coming out. If you do the research and want to spend your money wisely on these bullets and calibers I believe there would be more 7mm and 338 shooters out there.

Alrighteeee.... time to address the old 7mm wives tale yet again... Let's keep it plain and simple. The 300 whiz bang can shoot a 215 hybrid about the same velocity (or maybe a tad faster) that a 7 whiz bang can shoot a 180 hybrid. The 215 hybrid has a BC of .696 and the 180 has a .674 Now you can run those nunbers all day long in any calculator you want and the 300 whiz bang with the the 215 comes out on top every time.

One more myth to bust. Anyone who wants to drink the Nosler koolaid bout the BC of the ABLR bullets, please, please come see me bout some ocean front property in Arizona. I can get you a reeeeealy good deal. The Berger 180 hybrid will beat the 175 ABLR all day long.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the replies. My intent was not to starting a debate about which is better. But somehow I knew it would happen. I really do enjoy reading both sides of an issue. Especialy when it has to do with something that I am passionate about. Hunting. I am not a target shooter. I am not going to even pretend that I will ever be a long distance shooter. I have set my own limits for shooting distances based on what I feel is reasonable. From what I have seen, read, and heard my 7mm rem mag will do everything I need. I know this rifle has what it takes to humanely take big game at reasonable distances with the right bullets and my practice. Prior to me owning this rifle it was owned by my uncle. This rifle has taken more game than I will ever hope to take. Elk, moose, antelope, and a lot of deer. I started this thread out of confusion based on everything that I have read on this site as well as my unrealistic vision of what I want and can afford. Thank you again for helping me clear my mind, regain my focus, and realize that everyone has their own opinion of perfect.

Happy shooting!
Paul

Paul, based on your criteria and needs, your 7 RM should serve you very well and i even suggest not rebarreling it if you could get reasonably good accuracy out it. I also wanted to avoid a debate as they become very tiresome to me.

That said there are folks reading these threads who my not be familiar with factual performance capabilities of these cartridges. I own a 7 RM, a 300 WSM and a 300 RUM and I know what each can do and can not do. The best loads in the 300 WSM will outperform the best loads in a 7 RM and if we step up to the 300 RUM.... well, there is simply no comparison. And to suggest that the 7 RM will ballistically out perform the 30-378, that is like believing in Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and Never-Never Land.

Good shooting Paul, and don't sell yourself short. You can shoot the same distances that the rest of us can provided you get your rifle tuned up, and maybe a new heavier match grade barrel. I was at a shoot last week with fellow forum members and one of them let me shoot his 7 RM at a 1012 yd steel plate. I neglected the windage (thought it was dialed in) on the first shot and missed. On the second shot, I was close to dead center. The 7RM chamber is quite capable if the rifle and shooter are. Not my choice for a 1K elk rifle, but it will certainly do the job very well at lesser distances.

Cheers

Alrighteeee.... time to address the old 7mm wives tale yet again... Let's keep it plain and simple. The 300 whiz bang can shoot a 215 hybrid about the same velocity (or maybe a tad faster) that a 7 whiz bang can shoot a 180 hybrid. The 215 hybrid has a BC of .696 and the 180 has a .674 Now you can run those nunbers all day long in any calculator you want and the 300 whiz bang with the the 215 comes out on top every time.

One more myth to bust. Anyone who wants to drink the Nosler koolaid bout the BC of the ABLR bullets, please, please come see me bout some ocean front property in Arizona. I can get you a reeeeealy good deal. The Berger 180 hybrid will beat the 175 ABLR all day long.

SPOT ON!! Some are just in denial or are not "up to speed" on what the new 215 hybrid will do for velocity in a 300.

I have set up several with a 215 in the little ole 300 win doing 3K+, and some just under 3K.

I have owned many 7's and some that produced very good velocity with a 180 VLD. I have nothing against a 7mm. So why would I still be hunting long range with a 300 win.?? Not because it gives up anything, because it has more to offer with todays bullet choices.lightbulb

Jeff

Didn't the OP make up his mind to keep his rifle as is for awhile? Mabey a stock change an few minor twiks here an there? I believe he did!!! Sooo if he did, then why are some still havin the 7mm vs 300 debate?? I will be the first to admit that I'm not on the up an up on a lot of the latest bullets, powder, etc, however, if asked a question I'll give the best possible answer based on the Knowlege I have! I for one know that there are a lot of shooters out there that have more Knowlege than I do, an I'm glad that those shooters have that Knowlege an are willing to share it!!! That being said, thanks to all that took the time an energy to get that Knowlege! I have learned a lot from a lot of shooters out here on this site!! Thanks to all!!!! That being said, if a shooter makes up his mind to do whatever it is he or she is goin to do then why not encourage the shooter with helpful information on the project instead of trying to compare something to something when their mind is made up! Sorry to the OP for the rant!! No disrespect intended!!!

DT

Sooo if he did, then why are some still havin the 7mm vs 300 debate??
DT

Because there are some on here that strive to keep accurate statements alive. When we see a post that is not correct we post the opposition so the next guys that read it will get a chance on reading some reality, not just preferences, likes or opinions. Especially when the proof can be seen in black and white.

Jeff

Because there are some on here that strive to keep accurate statements alive. When we see a post that is not correct we post the opposition so the next guys that read it will get a chance on reading some reality, not just preferences, likes or opinions. Especially when the proof can be seen in black and white.

Jeff
Er
Jeff! With all respect to you an many more out here, I will be the first to encourage accurate statements an responses! If it wasn't for you I wouldn't be nearly as far along as I am now!!(many thanks!!) but if you are gonna quote me, post all of it!! Thanks!! Now!! For whatever post it was that some think that it wasn't accurate, did one ever think that the gentleman that posted it was goin on what information he was givin at the time, I could be wrong( an if I am, then Apologes to all)but the way it was put, I think that he was goin on the info he had at the time! Now, in saying that,again the OP said that he had made up his mind on what he is gonna do! It's his thread, it's his project, instead of debating our like, preference or opinion's why don't we just encourage him? With Respects Too All!!!

Dick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.