Rebarrel hunting rifle.

banjo318

Hello everyone,

Ive got a 7mm rem mag that i use for anything past 500 yards that i keep in the truck in case we see something from the truck out in the field. It is too heavy to pack, thats why i keep it in the truck. A 7mm rem mag is a good long range hunting round, i know. But i consider it the bare minimum (no pun intended) for that type of work. What is a caliber that i can switch to when i rebarrel that is in 30 caliber or 338 but has the same bolt face? It must be at the least, equal to a 300 win mag in energy. Would a 338 winchester magnum be any better than my 7 mag or a 300 mag? Any answer appreciated, thanks.

I would look into the 7mmSTW if you want to keep the .284 caliber, but reach on out there, honestly. I love my STW. You should read up about the caliber if you don't know much about it. The ballistics are quite impressive. Especially pushing the heavy Berger 180 VLD's for long-range.

I would look into the 7mmSTW if you want to keep the .284 caliber, but reach on out there, honestly. I love my STW. You should read up about the caliber if you don't know much about it. The ballistics are quite impressive. Especially pushing the heavy Berger 180 VLD's for long-range.

Yeah i know of the 7 stw. What is the barrel life on that? Where on earth can you get brass for it?

Yeah i know of the 7 stw. What is the barrel life on that? Where on earth can you get brass for it?

Barrel life is probably 1,500+ shots. And brass can be found from Nosler, Remington, and if you get in a pinch you can buy some 8mm Remington Mag and put them in your FL sizing die and neck them down.

Right now brass is fairly scarce, but so is everything else. But once this all blows over, you'll be able to pick up brass online all over the place. If you check the For Sale section here, you will see STW brass quite often for a fair price. For example the other week I picked up some from a fairly local guy (once-fired) for an awesome price. Got nearly 100 brass for about $65.00. And they were all Federal headstamp. And half of them were nickle-plated brass.

If I'm not mistaken a 7 mag is a 3.4" standard action with a .532" boltface. Many of the suggestions are for a RUM or STW and those will require a 3.6" magnum action.

First question would be how much magazine room do you have?

Second question would be how large is your ejection port?

I have rebarreled 3 win mag actions,

1 into a 6.5 rem mag (short action case but works great seating those long 6.5 bullets way out there)

1 into a 338 RUM but I had an extra large magazine with an interior dimension that would take a 3.685" OAL

1 into a 375 Ruger which is made for a 3.4" mag and action

If I'm not mistaken a 7 mag is a 3.4" standard action with a .532" boltface. Many of the suggestions are for a RUM or STW and those will require a 3.6" magnum action.

First question would be how much magazine room do you have?

Second question would be how large is your ejection port?

I have rebarreled 3 win mag actions,

1 into a 6.5 rem mag (short action case but works great seating those long 6.5 bullets way out there)

1 into a 338 RUM but I had an extra large magazine with an interior dimension that would take a 3.685" OAL

1 into a 375 Ruger which is made for a 3.4" mag and action

i can change the bolt face and there is plenty of room with the ejection port

The question I have is what is the donor rifle? Some rifles fit cartridges way better that others. If it is a Savage or a Remington I would suggest something off the Dakota cases 7mm,300,330. If it was a weatherby mark V the sky is the limit.

and it has the same bolt face.

I realize the bolt face is the same or close but what is the interior dimensions of the magazine?

IOW the approx OALs are:

7 mag - 3.3"
7 STW - 3.6"
300 RUM - 3.6"
338 RUM - 3.6"

catch the drift? Your mag may not be long enough for those suggested

Everyone here knows how great the 338 lapua is. But we all know how expensive it is too. But the 338 win mag is just a mere 200 fps behind the lapua. Would this be a good choice too?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts