Rebarrel .308 remington to 300WSM?

j_nosfarato

here is a straight foward question ( that I will make, thru tangents rather long), can a 308 win. (7.62x51)be re-barreled to 300 WSM? I know your thinking "why in the world would you want to do that when you can just buy another rifle"!?! the answer is this, I'm left handed, and there are no repeat NO major manufactures that make these rifles in a Heavy barreled Varmint configuration for left handers larger than the .308 Win (7.62x51mm). I pray that Tikka will come out with one but I doubt it very much. Love the Idea of external Mag.'s If it can be done will the bolt need to be replaced/refaced? lastly if it is possible who can guide me in the right direction to a competent gun smith in the U.S. northeast?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Yes you can.
It depends also on what type of action you are going to use, if your using a rem then you may want to consider the 300 sarum as it is shorter than the 300 wsm allowing magazine well length to be used without modification. You need to have the bolt face opened up to accept a .532~.534 bolt face. The feed rails will also need to be opened up for the larger case diameter.
If your dead set on the 300 wsm and your using a rem action then you may want to have the magazine well milled out to accept the longer oal case length.
This will require major modifications to be done and you may not find a gunsmith willing to perform the needed modidfications without a lengthy wait.
The win m70 short action is long enough for the 300 wsm without modification.

Brownells handles the after market magazines for the Rem action so can handle the 300wsm case plus Rem in their 2005 line up is a 300wsm so they may have parts also. Any gunsmith can open up the bolt face for the mag cal and install a sako extractor. May want to look at H&S site they handle magazines for the Rem also in the wsm caliber. I forgot to answere your first part of the question. Yes a 308 can be rebarrel to a 300wsm. May want to get hold of the gunsmith Ric Horst uses he does a nice job.

Thanks for the advice, the action I was thinking of was the Remington 700. For some reason I thought about getting another Varmint 700 and having it redone but I see that brownell has the 700 action only and in 308. So, I'll buy that and have... wait. ****, only RIGHT HANDED ACTIONS AVAILABLE, well the cheapest LH 700 in 308 and have that made into MY rifle. Its better this way. I get what I want. Ric I sent Chris an e-mail, used you name as a refrence ( hope you don't mind). Thanks again to everyone for the information and advice,

Jerry

nosfarato,
Heres another alternative, buy a new Remington 700 CDL left hand in 300 RUM and have that re-barrelled in 300 WSM,you wont need to modify the bolt face. If in the future you feel the desire for more power, you will have the action length for a host of 300 and 338, standard and wildcat cartridges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Centre Punch.

Thanks for the advice center punch, i just might do that! (here it comes) however, I thought the RUM was a long action and the .308 was a short action. I didn't think that would work or rather if it did I would have a bolt/action about 1/2 to 1 inch to long? can you make a short action long or a long action short?

If you are starting from scratch why not buy a Winchester M-70 WSM rifle and get the feeding ability that they have spent a hell of a lot of effort to perfect? The short fat cases are not as easy to get to feed as longer cases, simple as that. Winchester is the best action for the WSM in many ways, they developed an action to fit those cases. Rem. 700's will work, you can have the bolt face opened up from a .308 etc. but you still have an action that was not originally designed to feed short, fat cases. The Wyatt box helps a bunch, but it is still not as nice to work with as a current WSM 70 magazine.
That is what we are doing for my next WSM, can hardly wait to get my hands on it. A brand new WSM Coyote made the supreme sacrifice and the action is becoming the basis of a new WSM project rifle.
End of sermon.

Thanks Ian, I had thought of that, however I want a detachable Mag. and was informed that nobody makes detachable magazines for the M70. Trust me, i was a little crest fallen when you consider the price of the 70 VS the 700. In addition to the added costs involved from converting a 308 to 300WSM VS a simple rebarrel restock and bed. But like most people I want what I want and am willing to pay for it. ( but not to the point of financing Winchesters R&D for a detachable magazine) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nosfarato,
I did not realise that you wanted a detachable mag, that throws my alternative out of the window, maybe i should of thought of that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I have a friend who is also a left hooker and we spend many hours duscussing different action/barrel/calibre combos. He wanted a left hand heavy barrelled 300rum, the only way to get one at a reasonable price here in England would to buy a CDL and re-barrel it just as i suggested to you.

The 300WSM would mave been feasable in a long action fixed magazine remmy if a filler block was inserted into the mag box,you would also be able to use the biggest 30 cal bullets(220s,240s,)and have no trouble loading or ejecting live rounds through the longer port, a feature not inherant on the short or WSM actions. Actions can be cut and shut just like cars but the integrity of the action will be lost, i would'nt trust one so close to my face.

Centre Punch.

NOSFERETO

May i suggest that you look at the Browning A-Bolt.It is available left hand in 300 WSM and also has a detachable magazine. In my opinion they are very good actions and an A-Bolt would make an excellent project gun. Keep us updated as to your progress as i am a fellow leftie and am always interested in any leftie projects.
Hope this helps.

BRIT.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.