Rear Bags

Len,

I wouldn't say so since their "squishy". Their angled so you can use different sides to vary the height as well as sliding fore and aft. I'd say the only draw back I can think of is you suddenly had to move to a standing position to shoot they might still be swinging which would impede a quick shot until they settled down.

PS. I like your web site!

Last edited:
Used an 25 lb shot sack sewed up 1/3 of the sack and cut of the extra
filled with dried peas and put a zip tie on top to hold together. have used this bag for several years now. My thought is if it gets wet could drain it
and put in new product..

Alan, thanks.
----------------------
I wonder if the Santa in my house is following this thread. ;)

More data on the micro poly rear bags.

Just a thought though, there is much personal preference w/regards to rear bags. Everyone seems to have their own idea. The optimum situation is to be able to design your own or have them made to your specs. I'm getting pretty much tired of adapting "me" to some other person's idea. This is especially true as the requirements become more stringent as in real, true, long range hunting.

I made the camo rear bags in the below pic. The leather rabbit ear bag, was purchased in 1966 and filled with 'special' sand and rice until just the other day. Rice and sand must have been in vogue back then.:rolleyes:

Notice the difference in construction (my wife was fairly impressed). The bag on the left is thinner than the center bag. (The lady at the fabric store showed me how to do it;))

With these three bags most of the various shooting angle conditions in combination with a decent bipod can be met. The bags can also be used 'on end' to get more versatility.

They are very light.

The left most bag weighs 490gr, the center bag 700gr and the rabbit ear bag ~1400gr. Most of the weight of the leather bag is the leather. Thus a total of about 2590 grains or ~0.4 pounds. Compared to a Leica 1200 LRF Scan weighing in @ around 1 pound.

As for attaching to the rifle. They may be attached to anything desired (one of those personal preference things).

A couple of targets shot using these bags are in the foreground.

As far as rating them, they can be made to achive the 'natural rest' quickly, are solid in position like a rock and they do not diminish the APS rifle's capability's in the slightest.

BTW HP: The stuff goes in the 'post' Monday......

Rear-Poly-Bags-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.