Reamer Speed

cuutter

Hello guys, I have a question about lathe speed for reaming. I just got my 6.5x47 reamer from PTG for my new build. The last barrel I did I ran at 45 rpm and was told that might be a little slow. I'am just not sure. What speed do you guys run? The barrel I am doing is a S/S Krieger.
Thanks for the help in advanced
Wayne

What is your reaming method ream and clean or do you use a flush operation?

Do you use a floating reamer holder?

I use a high-pressure flush system with a semi synthetic coolant. lubricant. I also use a floating reamer holder. I use piloted reamers and have about 100 bushings in .0001 increments.

With Carbide Reamers there is a need of speed so the reamer can do its best cutting.

M7 Tool steel will not hold up the more than 175 RPMS.
I ream at 125-600 RPMs.

If you are still manually reaming 25-48 RPMS is Best.

I find the cartridge size influences ny speed and feed.

Nat Lambeth
Custom Guns and Ammunition

What is your reaming method ream and clean or do you use a flush operation?

Do you use a floating reamer holder?

I use a high-pressure flush system with a semi synthetic coolant. lubricant. I also use a floating reamer holder. I use piloted reamers and have about 100 bushings in .0001 increments.

With Carbide Reamers there is a need of speed so the reamer can do its best cutting.

M7 Tool steel will not hold up the more than 175 RPMS.
I ream at 125-600 RPMs.

If you are still manually reaming 25-48 RPMS is Best.

I find the cartridge size influences ny speed and feed.

Nat Lambeth
Custom Guns and Ammunition

+1 Very good advice !!!!!

I do not have a flush system (One day I will) so I run slower spindle speeds (44 rpm and 77 rpm
) because my lathe doesn't go any slower.

Dave Manson said I could run much faster with his reamers but with out a cooling/flush system
I don't want to ruin a reamer. He also said that the way I am using them they should last 20 to
25 uses. so far the most I have used one reamer is 8 times and that thing will cut you if your
not careful .

I run the small reamers @ 77rpm and the big ones at 44 rpm because of surface speed of the
reamer.

I know it takes a little longer at those speeds but who's in a hurry. I also stop and clean after
20 to 25 thousandth of cutting and reduce it to 10 thousand when nearing the end of
chambering to give the chamber a really nice finish.

SO don't get in a hurry unless you have a high speed setup.

J E CUSTOM

Hey, thanks you guys. I am reaming with a bald eagle holder but I also don't have a flushing system. I was told to ream 0.025" to 0.050" and then remove and clean reamer and bore. I guess I will just go slow and try and get it right the first time. Thanks again your commets on this. I appriciate it.

Wayne

I ream at 105rpm and have absolutly no problems. I have one reamer that cut 27 chambers, and is still going strong and cutting a smooth clean chamber. Mix stp engine treatment with ATF transmision fluid 1-2.5 for a lubricant. It clings well and keeps things cool. You will save your reamers by pre-drilling and boring your chambers.

I use Rustlick 255R Cut 5:1 with Distilled water. I flush at 35-125psi. I have a PT&G 6mmBRX that has cut several hundred chambers. I have a PT&G 308 95 Palma that has cut several hundred chambers. As have my .223 match 300 win Mag, 300wsm, .243Win and mt 6.5X.284.

Cool lubricated reamers should last a long time if not a life time.

Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts