Reamer advice, please

BTnerd

I'm about to order a .243AI reamer. I intend to shoot 105-107 grain bullets, and I'd like to be able to seat them touching or slightly jammed if needed. With a 105 gr. bullet seated to a OAL of 2.820 (just a bit shorter than my mag box allows), there is about .180" from the case mouth to the place on the bullet measures .237. Should i specify a .180" throat or should I make it a bit shorter? If I get it wrong (too long) I may run out of magbox room.

What are your opinions on throat angle? 1.5 degrees? does it really matter? All opinions appreciated, Thanks.

Load a couple of dummy rounds to the COAL you want and send them to Dave Kiff @ PT&Gauge and they will make the reamer with the appropriate freebore to fit your round. The 1.5 degree is the way to go.

+1 on calling David.

When magazine lengths allow I try to seat my bullets so that the boat tail/bearing surface junction is just above the case neck/shoulder junction so that I don't have to deal with doughnut rings and the extra work. It takes advantage of case capacity, and makes for a very simple set up.

Build the reamer accordingly

You didn't mention what action you are using. 2.85 kind of implies a Rem. S.A. although I've measured a few others that are about the same. If it is a Rem. S.A. or a custom that uses Rem. S.A. components check out "Wyatt's Outdoors" extended magazine box made for the 700. It is easy for a 'smith to install and will give you a cartridge OAL of 3.050". The cost of this option might trump the cost of a 'special' reamer. P.S. I'm 'hooked' on removable pilot reamers, no 'scuffs' from a fixed pilot that way and you can choose the pilot that fits the barrel the best.lightbulb

Thanks for the input ! Yes, it's a 700 shorty (actually a m7). I am going through PTG, and for sure am going removable pilot this time. I can't get the 105's heel into the neck with this magazine length. I'll have to give the Wyatts some thought...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.