real world 6.5 grendle range ( mule deer hunting)

Discussion in 'AR15/10 Rifles' started by rdsii64, May 11, 2011.

1. rdsii64

rdsii64 Well-Known Member

I have recently finished my first AR 15 build. I must say that this thing is a shooter for sure. Now that I have a very capable .223 predator rig I am looking into an upper for hunting mule deer. I lot of people have suggested the 6.5 Grendle, the 450 bushmaster and the 500 beowulf. I have no doubt that any of these rounds is capable of downing a mule deer with a well place round. The 6.5 grendle round has piqued my interest. What I am looking for is real world effective ranges that a grendle round can destroy the vitals and put a deer on the ground. In my search it seems that all I have found is hype and tall tails. Hopefully someone can steer me toward a credible source.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Enter the ballistics in to JBM online ballistic calc and see where your foot pounds of energy drops below 1000 foot pounds. I personaly dont subscribe to this thinking but it is the excepted norm to use foot pounds of energy as a good judge.

I think the 6.5 grendel is a good shoice but it your going to buy an upper look at Les Bear 6.5 LBC they are the same round but Les uses a diffrent throat demension that will work with a greater range of bullets.

It might be worth wild to look at the 30 rem ar as well.

Jon

3. Forrest Ebert

Forrest Ebert Well-Known Member

Are you rock solid on the 6.5? You may want to look at the 6mm Ar Turbo imp. also. You can find a lot of information at 6mmAR.com Robert Whitley makes some awsome uppers in any version you would want.

4. rdsii64

rdsii64 Well-Known Member

Truth be told I'm not confining my choice to any caliber yet. it was just that so far of the calibers that I have looked into the grendel interested me the most. I have heard of the 6mm AR turbo imp. Quite frankly, I really like that round. Everything I have been able to read says it carries plenty of smack down with the proper bullet selection. So no I am completely rock solid on the grendel yet.

5. Forrest Ebert

Forrest Ebert Well-Known Member

I have one and I Love it ! It shoots most any 6mm bullet quite accurately and it does have that down range punch ! I just started shooting Long Range competeition and I have shot at 600 & 1,000 yrds. with no problems as it is based off of the 6.5 Grendel case . Contact Robert he is very knowledgeable and has everything for this caliber you need . I like shooting the 107 & 108 grain bullets at distance and will hunt with it for the first time in Texas this year. It is also very friendly to many different powders what more can I say!

gun)

6. msalm

msalm Well-Known Member

I have a fair amount of experience with the Grendel and the LBC, I've built at least 15 of them in the last 3 years and I like the round. I recommend it to any of my buddies/customers that want to shoot deer with their AR15 platform rifles. Most use 100 and 120gr Nosler balistic tips out of 20-22" .750" dia gas block rifles and find accuracy and performance on deer excellent. It is a very capable cartridge and I know of two deer that were killed @ 300 plus yards with them, and another 5 or so at 100 or less. The 300 yarders were by the same gentleman and the deer (adult does) ran 30-40 yards and piled up with a shot through the chest. I wouldn't consider it a long range cartridge by any means, but I like the idea of the greater mass of the 6.5's. As a side note, if you can get ahold of any shot out 6.5-284 barrels from F-Class shooters, they make EXCELLENT Grendel barrels in the AR's. Cut 6-8" off the chamber end, contour, thread and chamber for the grendel bbl and you can't really tell even with a borescope that that barrel was shot more than a few rounds...and every one I've used has shot 1/2 MOA or less.

Not to mention dies are available as an off the shelf item along with brass and loaded ammo.

I don't mean to take anything away from the 6mm AR's as I plan on playing with those also and I know they shoot, but I really do like those 6.5 bores.

Last edited: May 14, 2011