Reading a 'Ladder Test'

fseybert

Hello,

I have been reading the forum for some time, great forum by the way, and have a question.

I tried my first ladder test this weekend and was suprised at the result. The rifle is a brand new Remington Sendero SF II, with a Score Hi muzzle break, chambered in .300 RUM. I broke the barrel in using factory level 1 ammo since I had a hard time finding brass until last week.

I loaded 210 grain Berger VLD's per Bergers recommended data of 86 - 92 grains of Retumbo, R-P brass that was trimmed, chamfered, flash holes de-burred and primer pockets trued, Federal 215 primers. I ran the ladder at 1 grain increments from 86-92 grains, twice, and had the same results. Shots were fired at 200 yards. Vertical spread was less than an inch on both tests. Horizontal, with a gusting breeze was about 4 inches the first time, and about 2 and a half the second.

I was happy to see the minimal vertical spread with a 7 grain change in charge weight, but don't think I learned much as far as where the node is. Both groups showed no real pattern as far as where to go. Any suggestions?

Thanks

It sounds like you need to shoot farther away. Try your ladder at 300-400 yards and see what happens. When I run a ladder test I separate each round by only .2 of a grain of powder. Let us know what you find.

JRW

+1. you need to back up to give your loads a chance to show some difference. I shoot mine at 419 on my home range, but if that is not showing much I back up to 563 yards. I always see some good data at 500+.

JeffVN

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.